metron-dev mailing list archives

From James Sirota <jsir...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release of Metron_0.1BETA_rc5
Date Tue, 29 Mar 2016 01:14:32 GMT
+1 (Binding)

I verified the release and everything works

Thanks,
James

On 3/28/16, 5:23 PM, "James Sirota" <jsirota@hortonworks.com> wrote:

>Hi Taylor,
>
>The keys file is included in the staging directory in Apache
>
>http://home.apache.org/~jsirota/metron/Metron_0.1BETA_RC/RC_5/KEYS
>
>I also provided the PGP electronic signature and the SHA1 hash::
>
>http://home.apache.org/~jsirota/metron/Metron_0.1BETA_RC/RC_5/incubator-metron-Metron_0.1BETA_rc5.tar.gz.asc
>
>http://home.apache.org/~jsirota/metron/Metron_0.1BETA_RC/RC_5/incubator-metron-Metron_0.1BETA_rc5.tar.gz.sha
>
>Thanks,
>James
>
>From: "P. Taylor Goetz" <ptgoetz@gmail.com<mailto:ptgoetz@gmail.com>>
>Date: Monday, March 28, 2016 at 5:17 PM
>To: <dev@metron.incubator.apache.org<mailto:dev@metron.incubator.apache.org>>
>Subject: Re: [VOTE] Release of Metron_0.1BETA_rc5
>
>My apologies for not weighing in sooner.
>
>Github: https://github.com/apache/incubator-metron/releases/tag/Metron_0.1BETA_rc5
>
>You don’t need to include this. Github is just a mirror. The important repository is
the git repo hosted by the ASF.

>With a Git hash:
>443ad7baa2ce5c3127a9691c7d45b7a4a92e257b
>
>Good job. All releases should be traceable back to a specific commit. Tags can be moved
in git, Commit SHAs not so much.

>The following are instructions for verifying the build.
>
>Those instructions should probably be part of the documentation rather than a release
vote.

>Apache releases source code, not compiled/packaged software. That code can be buggy as
hell. It doesn’t matter. Quality of the resulting executable software is a secondary concern.
The most important point is that the *source* is clean from a licensing perspecitve (LICENSE/NOTICE,
Incubator DISCLAIMER, Apache headers in source, all source tied to a grant/(I)(C)CLA, etc.).

>Another thing missing from this VOTE are the signatures, checksums, and pointer to the
KEYS file that includes the signature of the persons signing the release. Without these, it’s
impossible to verify a release.

in a browser at http://node1:5000
>- Check that some data is written into HDFS for at least one of the data sources
>     Look in HDFS under /apps/metron/enrichment/indexed/yaf_doc|bro_doc|snort_doc
>     This can be done from the browser by going to http://node:50070/explorer.html#/apps/metron/enrichment/indexed
>
>Step 3 (optional) – Verify AWS Multi-Node Deploy with Ansible
>cd deployment/amazon-ec2
>ansible-playbook -i ec2.py playbook.yml
>
>For a more complete set of instructions refer to:
>https://github.com/apache/incubator-metron/tree/master/deployment
>
>To verify the working build go through the same verifications as in Step2, but on AWS.
 Reference playbook.yml for location of the services.