metron-dev mailing list archives

From "P. Taylor Goetz" <ptgo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release of Metron_0.1BETA_rc5
Date Tue, 29 Mar 2016 15:54:26 GMT
Hi James,

Thanks for pointing that out, I missed that because it’s common practice to explicitly point
to the release artifacts.

Here’s a template I use for release votes:
This is a call to vote on releasing Apache $PROJECT $VERSION

Full list of changes in this release:

[Link to CHANGELOG]

The tag/commit to be voted upon is $GIT_TAG_NAME:

[Link to commit SHA on git-wip-us.apache.org]

The source archive being voted upon can be found here:

[Link to source tarball on dist.apache.org]

Other release files, signatures and digests can be found here:

[Link to release dir on dist.apache.org]

The release artifacts are signed with the following key:

[Link to KEYS file on git-wip-us.apache.org]

The Nexus staging repository for this release is:

[Link to staging repo on repository.apache.org]

Please vote on releasing this package as $PROJECT $VERSION.

When voting, please list the actions taken to verify the release.

[ ] +1 Release this package as $PROJECT $VERSION
[ ]  0 No opinion

Getting IPMC members to vote on a release is notoriously hard. The idea behind the template
is to make it as easy as possible for IPMC members to verify a release.

Note that hosting the release artifacts on home.apache.org <http://home.apache.org/>
is now discouraged (someone will almost certainly bring this up in the IPMC vote). They should
be hosted on dist.apache.org. You can stage them there by committing them to subversion at
the following URL:

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/metron <https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/metron>

(You will need to `svn mkdir metron` since it doesn’t exist yet.)

Another nit that may come up is the naming of the release. The preferred naming would be “apache-metron-incubating”
or “metron-incubating”.

If you can address some of these points you will probably have a better chance of having a
release approved by the IPMC.

-Taylor

> On Mar 28, 2016, at 8:23 PM, James Sirota <jsirota@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Taylor,
>
> The keys file is included in the staging directory in Apache
>
> http://home.apache.org/~jsirota/metron/Metron_0.1BETA_RC/RC_5/KEYS
>
> I also provided the PGP electronic signature and the SHA1 hash::
>
> http://home.apache.org/~jsirota/metron/Metron_0.1BETA_RC/RC_5/incubator-metron-Metron_0.1BETA_rc5.tar.gz.asc
>
> http://home.apache.org/~jsirota/metron/Metron_0.1BETA_RC/RC_5/incubator-metron-Metron_0.1BETA_rc5.tar.gz.sha
>
> Thanks,
> James
>
> From: "P. Taylor Goetz" <ptgoetz@gmail.com<mailto:ptgoetz@gmail.com>>
> Date: Monday, March 28, 2016 at 5:17 PM
> To: <dev@metron.incubator.apache.org<mailto:dev@metron.incubator.apache.org>>
> Subject: Re: [VOTE] Release of Metron_0.1BETA_rc5
>
> My apologies for not weighing in sooner.
>
> Github: https://github.com/apache/incubator-metron/releases/tag/Metron_0.1BETA_rc5
>
> You don’t need to include this. Github is just a mirror. The important repository is
the git repo hosted by the ASF.

> With a Git hash:
> 443ad7baa2ce5c3127a9691c7d45b7a4a92e257b
>
> Good job. All releases should be traceable back to a specific commit. Tags can be moved
in git, Commit SHAs not so much.

> The following are instructions for verifying the build.
>
> Those instructions should probably be part of the documentation rather than a release
vote.

> Apache releases source code, not compiled/packaged software. That code can be buggy as
hell. It doesn’t matter. Quality of the resulting executable software is a secondary concern.
The most important point is that the *source* is clean from a licensing perspecitve (LICENSE/NOTICE,
Incubator DISCLAIMER, Apache headers in source, all source tied to a grant/(I)(C)CLA, etc.).

> Another thing missing from this VOTE are the signatures, checksums, and pointer to the
KEYS file that includes the signature of the persons signing the release. Without these, it’s
impossible to verify a release.

in a browser at http://node1:5000
> - Check that some data is written into HDFS for at least one of the data sources
>     Look in HDFS under /apps/metron/enrichment/indexed/yaf_doc|bro_doc|snort_doc
>     This can be done from the browser by going to http://node:50070/explorer.html#/apps/metron/enrichment/indexed
>
> Step 3 (optional) – Verify AWS Multi-Node Deploy with Ansible
> cd deployment/amazon-ec2
> ansible-playbook -i ec2.py playbook.yml
>
> For a more complete set of instructions refer to:
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-metron/tree/master/deployment
>
> To verify the working build go through the same verifications as in Step2, but on AWS.
 Reference playbook.yml for location of the services.