metron-dev mailing list archives

From "P. Taylor Goetz" <ptgo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release of Metron_0.1BETA_rc5
Date Tue, 29 Mar 2016 18:05:53 GMT
Looking at the actual release I found the following:

There are multiple LICENSE files:
$ find ./ -name LICENSE
.//LICENSE
.//metron-streaming/LICENSE
.//metron-ui/LICENSE

There’s also ./bro-plugin-kafka/COPYING

You should probably remove the extra LICENSE files and keep the top level one.

The NOTICE file contains the following text:

"Portions of this software were developed at Cisco Systems and have been kindly donated to
the Apache Software Foundation.”

That is not the typical format and if not necessary should be removed. See [1] and [2]. If
necessary it should read:

"This product includes software developed by Cisco Systems (http://www.cisco.com)
Copyright (c) 2014 Cisco Systems.

The main LICENSE file contains entries such as this:

"This product bundles filesaver 2013-01-23, which is available under a "MIT" license.”

Those entries should also include a pointer to the file(s) containing that license, e.g. “For
details, see path/to/dependency”. See [3].

The website source code (./site) is included in the release, but excluded from the RAT check.
If included in the release, the same licensing rules apply as they do to the rest of the source
code. The same thing applies to “metron-ui” I noticed at least one file (app.js) there
that’s missing a header. There are also a bunch of .ldif files that are missing headers.

You may want to consider addressing some of these issues before moving on to an IPMC vote.

-Taylor

[1] http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html <http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html>
[2] http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#mod-notice <http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#mod-notice>
[3] http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#permissive-deps

in a browser at http://node1:5000
> - Check that some data is written into HDFS for at least one of the data sources
>      Look in HDFS under /apps/metron/enrichment/indexed/yaf_doc|bro_doc|snort_doc
>      This can be done from the browser by going to http://node:50070/explorer.html#/apps/metron/enrichment/indexed
>
> Step 3 (optional) – Verify AWS Multi-Node Deploy with Ansible
> cd deployment/amazon-ec2
> ansible-playbook -i ec2.py playbook.yml
>
> For a more complete set of instructions refer to:
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-metron/tree/master/deployment
>
> To verify the working build go through the same verifications as in Step2, but on AWS.
 Reference playbook.yml for location of the services.