metron-dev mailing list archives

From "P. Taylor Goetz" <ptgo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release of Metron_0.1BETA_rc5
Date Tue, 29 Mar 2016 00:17:26 GMT
My apologies for not weighing in sooner.

> Github: https://github.com/apache/incubator-metron/releases/tag/Metron_0.1BETA_rc5 <https://github.com/apache/incubator-metron/releases/tag/Metron_0.1BETA_rc5>
You don’t need to include this. Github is just a mirror. The important repository is the
git repo hosted by the ASF.

> With a Git hash:
> 443ad7baa2ce5c3127a9691c7d45b7a4a92e257b

Good job. All releases should be traceable back to a specific commit. Tags can be moved in
git, Commit SHAs not so much.

> The following are instructions for verifying the build.

Those instructions should probably be part of the documentation rather than a release vote.

Apache releases source code, not compiled/packaged software. That code can be buggy as hell.
It doesn’t matter. Quality of the resulting executable software is a secondary concern.
The most important point is that the *source* is clean from a licensing perspecitve (LICENSE/NOTICE,
Incubator DISCLAIMER, Apache headers in source, all source tied to a grant/(I)(C)CLA, etc.).

Another thing missing from this VOTE are the signatures, checksums, and pointer to the KEYS
file that includes the signature of the persons signing the release. Without these, it’s
impossible to verify a release.

You can find more information here: [1] [2]

-Taylor

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html <http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html>
[2] http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html

in a browser at http://node1:5000
> - Check that some data is written into HDFS for at least one of the data sources
>      Look in HDFS under /apps/metron/enrichment/indexed/yaf_doc|bro_doc|snort_doc
>      This can be done from the browser by going to http://node:50070/explorer.html#/apps/metron/enrichment/indexed
>
> Step 3 (optional) – Verify AWS Multi-Node Deploy with Ansible
> cd deployment/amazon-ec2
> ansible-playbook -i ec2.py playbook.yml
>
> For a more complete set of instructions refer to:
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-metron/tree/master/deployment
>
> To verify the working build go through the same verifications as in Step2, but on AWS.
 Reference playbook.yml for location of the services.