metron-dev mailing list archives

From Billie Rinaldi <bil...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release of Metron_0.1BETA_rc5
Date Tue, 29 Mar 2016 21:36:18 GMT
On Tue, Mar 29, 2016 at 12:46 PM, Casey Stella <cestella@gmail.com> wrote:

> Regarding the use of effective_tld_names.dat, it is in use currently in the
> Whois enrichment adapter (for stripping top level domains from domains),
> but that adapter is not turned on in the tech preview.  That being said,
> it's likely we will want to use that file in the future.  Since this is a
> reference file and the reason for the binary-only exclusion is "By
> including only the object/binary form, there is less exposed surface area
> of the third-party work from which a work might be derived; this addresses
> the second guiding principle of this policy.", it would seem that its
> inclusion as a piece of reference data lessens the exposed surface area
> from which a work might be derived, no?

I read that part as saying that it's only okay to include the binary
version; but since this is textual data there is no binary version of these
files that we could include.  However, I missed this part on my first read:
"For small amounts of source that is directly consumed by the ASF product
at runtime in source form, and for which that source is unmodified and
unlikely to be changed anyway (say, by virtue of being specified by a
standard), inclusion of appropriately labeled source is also permitted. An
example of this is the web-facesconfig_1_0.dtd, whose inclusion is mandated
by the JSR 127: JavaServer Faces specification."

So it sounds like we could argue that these 3 files (which are all
identical) are a small amount of source, and we will be allowed to include
them with an appropriate reference in our LICENSE **as long as we never
modify the effective_tld_names.dat files**.