metron-dev mailing list archives

From James Sirota <jsir...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Metron-265 Model as a Service
Date Tue, 05 Jul 2016 22:24:00 GMT
Simon,

There are several reasons to decouple model execution from Storm:

- Reliability: It's much easier to handle a failed service than a failed bolt.  You can also
troubleshoot without having to bring down the topology
- Complexity: you de-couple the model logic from Storm logic and can manage it independently
of Storm
- Portability: you can swap the model guts (switch from Spark to Flink, etc) and as long as
you maintain the interface you are good to go
- Consistency: since we want to expose our models the same way we expose threat intel then
it makes sense to expose them as a service

In our vision for Metron we want to make it easy to uptake and share models.  I think well-defined
interfaces and programmatic ways of deployment, lifecycle management, and scoring via well-defined
REST interfaces will make this task easier.  We can do a few things to

With respect to PMML I personally had not had much luck with it in production.  I would prefer
models as POJOs.

Thanks,
James

04.07.2016, 16:07, "Simon Ball" <sball@hortonworks.com>:
> Since the models' parameters and execution algorithm are likely to be small, why not
have the model store push the model changes and scoring direct to the bolts and execute within
storm. This negates the overhead of a rest call to the model server, and the need for discovery
of the model server in zookeeper.

> Something like the way ranger policies are updated / cached in plugins would seem to
make sense, so that we're distributing the model execution directly into the enrichment pipeline
rather than collecting in a central service.

> This would work with simple models on single events, but may struggle with correlation
based models. However, those could be handled in storm by pushing into a windowing trident
topology or something of the sort, or even with a parallel spark streaming job using the same
method of distributing models.

> The real challenge here would be stateful online models, which seem like a minority case
which could be handled by a shared state store such as HBase.

> You still keep the ability to run different languages, and platforms, but wrap managing
the parallelism in storm bolts rather than yarn containers.

> We could also consider basing the model protocol on a a common model language like pmml,
thong that is likely to be highly limiting.