metron-dev mailing list archives

From Casey Stella <ceste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Bylaws discussion
Date Thu, 14 Jul 2016 14:53:15 GMT
We do not currently have bylaws, so we default we are in sort of nebulous
territory from what I can tell.  Take the voting on code modifications, for
instance, we are bound by the rules here
<http://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html>, from my understanding
(since we don't have voted-in bylaws):

> For code-modification votes, +1 votes are in favour of the proposal, but
> -1 votes are vetos <http://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html#Veto> and
> kill the proposal dead until all vetoers withdraw their -1 votes.
>
> Unless a vote has been declared as using lazy consensus
> <http://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html#LazyConsensus> , three +1
> votes are required for a code-modification proposal to pass.
>
> We, however, have adopted a de facto 2 +1's for code modification.  The
bylaws that we put up originally state a lazy consensus of 1 +1 is
sufficient.

What I propose is that we figure out what they SHOULD be and abide by the
stated bylaws that we advertise.
There is not a good way to see the diff because we abide by de facto rules
that do not seem to be written down.

I would read the original proposed bylaws and see if you see differences in
how we act day-to-day and if you're ok with those differences.  If not,
then bring it up on this thread and we can hash it out.

I am not champing at the bit for a vote, but I would like us to have
bylaws, so I wanted to make sure this wasn't a "consensus of silence"
situation.  I think we can stand a bit of discussion on this and thus far
there has been only crickets.

Casey