metron-dev mailing list archives

From Casey Stella <ceste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Metron-265 Model as a Service
Date Fri, 08 Jul 2016 13:33:16 GMT
So, it's an interesting discussion about where exactly feature selection
happens.  I suspect it will happen in multiple places.  Let's take the DGA
model as our motivating example.  This guy is likely to not require too
much beyond the domain name.  The model code should pull apart the features
from that domain (entropy, the tld, stripping subdomains, etc.) and
probably has some reference data resident within the model (probability of
bigrams in various languages, for instance) that it will use to build the
real input.  As it stands, a lot of the feature selection is likely to be
done in the model, but the model should be explicit about what it wants as
input.  For instance, it could demand only the raw domain or it could
demand the subdomains, domain and tld to be separated out.  In either case,
the caching should work as long as the model is deterministic for a given
input.

I think it will be interesting to see, however, where the feature selection
will happen for most models.  This is essentially why I pushed for this to
be part of stellar, so that some transformation can be done prior to model
execution.  For instance,  for our DGA model, you could call
MODEL_APPLY('dga',  DOMAIN_REMOVE_TLD(domain), DOMAIN_TO_TLD(domain) )
which would do the (admittedly not-so) heavy work of separating tlds from
the domain inside of stellar as opposed to having to do it in the language
that is being used to implement your model.

On Thu, Jul 7, 2016 at 6:33 PM, Simon Ball <sball@hortonworks.com> wrote:

> [...]
> > Storm bolt level"
> >
> > Right now we have a LRU caching layer in front of the HBase enrichment
> > adapters, so it would work similarly.  You can imagine, the range of
> inputs
> > is likely not perfectly random, so it's reasonable for the cache to have
> > non-empty working set.  Take for instance a DGA model; the input would
> be a
> > domain and most organizations will have an uneven distribution of domains
> > they access with a heavy skew toward a small number.
> >
> > RE: In this scenario, you can at least scale out via load balancing (i.e.
> > multiple model services serving the same model) since the models are
> > immutable.
> >
> > I am talking about model execution here.  The endpoints are distributed
> > across the cluster and the storm bolt chooses a service to use (with a
> bias
> > toward using one that is local to that bolt) and the request is made to
> the
> > endpoint, which scores the input and returns the response.
> >
> > Model service, if that term means what I think it means, is almost
> entirely
> > done inside of zookeeper.  For clarity, I'm talking about service
> discovery
> > (bolt discovers which endpoints serve which models) and model updates.
> We
> > are not sending the model around to any bolts or any such thing, just for
> > clarity sake.
> >

> > On Thu, Jul 7, 2016 at 9:47 AM, Andrew Psaltis <psaltis.andrew@gmail.com
> >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Thanks Casey! Couple of quick questions.
> >>
> >> RE:: "which is why there would be a caching layer set in front of it at
> the
> >> Storm bolt level"
> >> Hmm, would this be of the results of model execution? Would this really
> >> work when each tuple may contain totally different data? Or is the
> caching
> >> going to be smart enough that it will look at all the data passed in and
> >> determine that an identical tuple has already been evaluated so serve
> the
> >> result out of cache?
> >>
> >> RE: "Also, we would prefer local instances of the service when and where
> >> possible"
> >> Perfect makes sense.
> >>
> >> RE: Serving many models from every storm bolt is also fairly expensive.
> >> I can see how it could be, but couldn't  we can make sure that not all
> >> models live in every bolt?
> >>
> >> RE: In this scenario, you can at least scale out via load balancing
> (i.e.
> >> multiple model services serving the same model) since the models are
> >> immutable.
> >> This seems to address the model serving, not model execution service.
> >> Having yet one more layer to scale and mange also seems like it
> >> would further complicate things. Could we not just also scale the bolts?

James:

Storm:"

> >> is

> >> for