metron-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Foley <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Confluence write access to a space
Date Sun, 01 Jan 2017 02:42:37 GMT
Hi Dima,
Great to have the how-to doc in the wiki where it belongs.  Now we have a doc to edit as we
improve the install process :-)

Did you look at https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/METRON-634 before opening METRON-642?
 Please see my comments in the Jira for METRON-642.
Thanks,
--Matt

On 12/30/16, 11:44 PM, "Dima Kovalyov" <Dima.Kovalyov@sstech.us> wrote:

    Hey,

    I wanted to finish what I've started with document for Metron with HDP
    2.5, so I have migrated document (with minor text fixes and
    clarifications) to here:
    https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/METRON/Metron+with+HDP+2.5+bare-metal+install
    Old google doc was replaced with the link to this article.

    I also, created number of pull requests to fix minor bugs here and there
    and created these two tickets: METRON-641 and METRON-642.
    Please let me know if I did something out of proper procedure.

    Also, I agree that we should eventually strip HDP related steps from the
    document, so in the end it will be like:
    1. Build Mpack
    2. Add to Ambari
    3. Assigned Masters and Slave
    4. PROFIT
    But since we are where we are, let's leave it like that and fix all the
    bugs first.

    p.s. have a happy holidays everyone

    - Dima

    On 12/16/2016 04:21 AM, Matt Foley wrote:
    > I seem to have found the difficulty.  It will NOT show up on any system that has
/bin/java defined, which may account for why other folks with Centos7 test systems aren’t
seeing the behavior.

    > On my Centos7 test system, it so happens that /bin/java is not defined, even though
$JAVA_HOME is correctly defined, and “$JAVA_HOME/bin” is in the PATH.  In Centos7, when
services launch through the (new in 7) systemctl process, it drops all inherited environment
variables and starts over fresh.  Although the systemd launch script /usr/lib/systemd/system/elasticsearch.service
does read in the /etc/sysconfig/elasticsearch as an “EnvironmentFile”, it does not include
JAVA_HOME.

    > When, eventually, the user-level launcher script at /usr/share/elasticsearch/bin/elasticsearch
gets invoked, JAVA_HOME is still undefined.  But it looks for $JAVA_HOME/bin/java, so if “/bin/java”
is linked in the file system, then it’s good!  But if not, the launcher script dies.  Regrettably
that launcher script, even though it is fairly complex, does not write to any log file, and
its stdout was closed long ago by the service-level launcher.  So I had to hack it to see
what it was doing.

    > The solution is to simply write JAVA_HOME={{java64_home}} into the elastic-sysconfig
template.

    > BTW, while munging thru code I reached the conclusion that elastic-env.sh is basically
orphaned.  Does anyone know of scripts that source it? (Of course elastic-env.xml is still
important, I’m only asking about the elastic-env.sh file templated from it.)

    > Thanks,
    > --Matt
    >

    > On 12/14/16, 2:41 PM, "Matt Foley" <mfoley@hortonworks.com> wrote:
    >
    > No, node.data and node.master are both correctly set to true (with Ambari’s agreement/participation)
in the elasticsearch.yml file in CONF_DIR, and this is being correctly picked up by ES when
launched interactively.  I really think this is in the service management stuff in /etc/init.d/elasticsearch
and /usr/share/elasticsearch/bin/elasticsearch .  Remains to be proven, of course…

    > The reason I think ES isn’t even being successfully launched by systemd, is there
is zero logging anywhere, except in ambari where it shows nothing but a successful service
launch.  No files created in /var/log/elasticsearch, which all scripts agree is the value
of LOG_DIR, despite permissions set to “drwxr-xr-x. elasticsearch elasticsearch”

    > Thanks,
    > --Matt
    >
    > On 12/14/16, 2:07 PM, "David Lyle" <dlyle65535@gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >     Aha! There's your problem. :)
    >
    >     Kidding aside, that is weird. I would expect the ES instance to come up and
    >     go status red right away, not up and die.
    >
    >     I did have a horrible, horrible hack that made all that work, it involved
    >     modifying the stored es templates to both have node.master and node.data
    >     set to true in
    >     /var/lib/ambari-server/resources/common-services/ELASTICSEARCH (from
    >     memory, path may be a bit off). It occurred to me that an easy incremental
    >     step toward to full METRON-608 would be to simply expose the templates to
    >     the config pages...
    >
    >     -D...
    >

    >     On Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 4:59 PM, Matt Foley <mfoley@hortonworks.com> wrote:
    >
    >     > David,
    >     > No, it’s in my METRON-608 single-node deployment  :-)
    >     >
    >     > On 12/14/16, 12:46 PM, "David Lyle" <dlyle65535@gmail.com> wrote:
    >     >
    >     >     Hi Matt and Jon,
    >     >
    >     >     FWIW, Metron with the MPack has been tested extensively on CentOS 7.
    >     > Works
    >     >     like a champ. The issue right now is that sensor install is a CentOS
    >     >     6/Ansible proposition.
    >     >
    >     >     I haven't seen the issue with ES that you're experiencing, Matt. Is
    >     > that in
    >     >     a 1 Master 3 Data node ES config or something else?
    >     >
    >     >     -D...
    >     >
    >     >
    >     >     On Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 3:29 PM, Matt Foley <mfoley@hortonworks.com>
    >     > wrote:
    >     >
    >     >     > I hope we will try to support Centos7. Many of my company’s
    >     > customers are
    >     >     > requiring new installs to use RHEL 7 or Centos 7 rather than 6.
 In
    >     >     > addition, we have the benefit that Centos 6 RPMs basically always
    >     > run fine
    >     >     > in Centos7 (barring heavy-duty low-level system manipulations that
    >     > Metron,
    >     >     > Kibana, and ES just don’t use), ES doesn’t distinguish between
them,
    >     > and
    >     >     > Kibana install support for Centos7 is already in place in the
    >     > Mpack.  And
    >     >     > of course the Hadoop Stack runs fine in 7.
    >     >     >
    >     >     > For what it’s worth, I’ve been working with the Mpack installation
on
    >     >     > Centos7 for the last few weeks, and it works fine except for a
    >     > persistent
    >     >     > issue where the Elasticsearch service works fine if launched
    >     > interactively
    >     >     > but terminates immediately if launched with same arguments as a
    >     > service.
    >     >     > Hope to find the cause in the next couple days.  (If anyone knows
    >     > why,
    >     >     > would love to hear.  The daemonized launch scripts come from ES,
not
    >     > from
    >     >     > Metron, so “should just work”.)
    >     >     >
    >     >     > Thanks,
    >     >     > --Matt
    >     >     >
    >     >     > On 12/13/16, 6:46 PM, "Zeolla@GMail.com" <zeolla@gmail.com>
wrote:
    >     >     >
    >     >     >     For now, I'm not sure what the solution is, but I would think
    >     > choosing
    >     >     > one
    >     >     >     specific list of required/supported software (including OS)
and
    >     >     > documenting
    >     >     >     that thoroughly is the right start.  Something like what
    >     > currently
    >     >     > exists
    >     >     >     for the vagrant side of things.
    >     >     >
    >     >     >     That said, long term I would love to see broader support and
    >     >     > automatically
    >     >     >     generating documentation derived from the code.  Isn't CentOS
6
    >     > still
    >     >     >     preferred over 7?  That's what I've been working on solely
for
    >     > that
    >     >     >     reason.
    >     >     >
    >     >     >     Jon
    >     >     >
    >     >     >     On Tue, Dec 13, 2016, 21:07 Matt Foley <mattf@apache.org>
wrote:
    >     >     >
    >     >     >     > In my work on METRON-608, I’ve found a lot of small
but
    >     > significant
    >     >     > bugs
    >     >     >     > in the existing Mpack (version 0.3.0).  These bugs integrate
    >     > with a
    >     >     > lot of
    >     >     >     > the oddball tweaks specified in the draft Install docs
I saw.
    >     > I
    >     >     > would like
    >     >     >     > to submit a PR for these bugs, but they must be accompanied
by
    >     >     > changes in
    >     >     >     > the Install doc.
    >     >     >     >
    >     >     >     > How do we want to manage this?  Should we version the
Install
    >     > doc?
    >     >     > Or
    >     >     >     > have multiple sections for the different versions?  Or
have
    >     >     > footnotes or
    >     >     >     > sidebar comments about which version certain paragraphs
do and
    >     > do
    >     >     > not apply
    >     >     >     > to?
    >     >     >     >
    >     >     >     > I’m inclined to use sidebars within the document, because
the
    >     >     > dependencies
    >     >     >     > aren’t just on which versions of HDP, Ambari, and Metron
you
    >     > use.
    >     >     > They
    >     >     >     > also depend on Python 2.6 vs 2.7, and Centos 6 vs 7.
    >     >     >     >
    >     >     >     > Thanks,
    >     >     >     > --Matt
    >     >     >     >
    >     >     >     >
    >     >     >     > On 12/13/16, 4:13 PM, "Zeolla@GMail.com" <zeolla@gmail.com>
    >     > wrote:
    >     >     >     >
    >     >     >     >     Sorry about the delay.  To be honest I delayed once
I saw
    >     > the
    >     >     >     > management UI
    >     >     >     >     PR because I was going to wait for that to be merged
into
    >     > master
    >     >     >     > before I
    >     >     >     >     did my mpack install.  My initial thought is that
there
    >     > may need
    >     >     > to be
    >     >     >     > some
    >     >     >     >     sort of a merger between what you provided and the
    >     > Hortonworks
    >     >     > blog
    >     >     >     > post,
    >     >     >     >     as I would prefer a single, comprehensive post over
    >     >     > fragmentation.
    >     >     >     >
    >     >     >     >     Jon
    >     >     >     >
    >     >     >     >     On Tue, Dec 13, 2016, 18:29 Dima Kovalyov <
    >     >     > Dima.Kovalyov@sstech.us>
    >     >     >     > wrote:
    >     >     >     >
    >     >     >     >     > Thank you Jon,
    >     >     >     >     >
    >     >     >     >     > Just wondering if you have finished polishing
the
    >     > document? I
    >     >     > will
    >     >     >     > have
    >     >     >     >     > some time this week to polish and publish it
if there is
    >     >     > anything
    >     >     >     > left
    >     >     >     >     > to format.
    >     >     >     >     >
    >     >     >     >     > - Dima
    >     >     >     >     >
    >     >     >     >     > On 12/01/2016 04:41 PM, Zeolla@GMail.com wrote:
    >     >     >     >     > > While I can't delegate access to the wiki,
I am
    >     > working on
    >     >     >     > migrating the
    >     >     >     >     > > documentation over.  I have been modifying
the
    >     > document for
    >     >     >     > clarity and
    >     >     >     >     > > updating up some of the formatting, so please
give me
    >     > some
    >     >     > time to
    >     >     >     > do so.
    >     >     >     >     > >
    >     >     >     >     > > Jon
    >     >     >     >     > >
    >     >     >     >     > > On Thu, Dec 1, 2016 at 9:33 AM Dima Kovalyov
<
    >     >     >     > Dima.Kovalyov@sstech.us>
    >     >     >     >     > > wrote:
    >     >     >     >     > >
    >     >     >     >     > >> Hello,
    >     >     >     >     > >>
    >     >     >     >     > >> Who can provide me with an access to
add new page in
    >     > this
    >     >     >     > Installation
    >     >     >     >     > >> space below?
    >     >     >     >     > >> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/METRON/
    >     >     > Installation
    >     >     >     >     > >> I want to add up-to-date article on
how-to install
    >     > Metron
    >     >     > using
    >     >     >     > Ambari
    >     >     >     >     > >> mpack.
    >     >     >     >     > >> Please advise.
    >     >     >     >     > >>
    >     >     >     >     > >> My username is "dima" registered with
electronic mail
    >     >     > dimdroll
    >     >     >     > hosted by
    >     >     >     >     > >> gmail.
    >     >     >     >     > >>
    >     >     >     >     > >> Right now I have it posted here:
    >     >     >     >     > >> https://goo.gl/HWGwpj
    >     >     >     >     > >> But instead of maintaining it there
it will be
    >     > convenient
    >     >     > for me
    >     >     >     > to have
    >     >     >     >     > >> it in confluence instead of gdocs as
I am using
    >     > confluence
    >     >     > in our
    >     >     >     >     > internal
    >     >     >     >     > >> project as well, so I can basically
copy formatted doc
    >     >     > between
    >     >     >     > each
    >     >     >     >     > other.
    >     >     >     >     > >>
    >     >     >     >     > >> Thank you.
    >     >     >     >     > >>
    >     >     >     >     > >> - Dima
    >     >     >     >     > >>
    >     >     >     >     > >> On 11/30/2016 04:57 PM, Zeolla@GMail.com<mailto:
    >     > Zeolla
    >     >     > @GMail.com>
    >     >     >     >     > wrote:
    >     >     >     >     > >> Probably the best long term place for
this would be
    >     > here<
    >     >     >     >     > >> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/METRON/
    >     >     > Installation>,
    >     >     >     >     > >> potentially with a new mpack article
    >     > differentiate from
    >     >     > the
    >     >     >     > ambari
    >     >     >     >     > >> install which is already there, but
dated).  I can
    >     > help with
    >     >     >     > migrating
    >     >     >     >     > it
    >     >     >     >     > >> to the wiki - I will run through your
documentation
    >     > later
    >     >     > today
    >     >     >     > and
    >     >     >     >     > request
    >     >     >     >     > >> edit permissions if I find anything
worth updating.
    >     >     >     >     > >>
    >     >     >     >     > >> Would you be OK if I put your doc in
the wiki at some
    >     > point?
    >     >     >     >     > >>
    >     >     >     >     > >> Jon
    >     >     >     >     > >>
    >     >     >     >     > >> On Wed, Nov 30, 2016 at 9:51 AM Dima
Kovalyov <
    >     >     >     > Dima.Kovalyov@sstech.us
    >     >     >     >     > >> <mailto:Dima.Kovalyov@sstech.us>>
wrote:
    >     >     >     >     > >> As multiple users asked I have published
document for
    >     >     > installing
    >     >     >     > Metron
    >     >     >     >     > on
    >     >     >     >     > >> Centos 6 using Ambari 2.4 with HDP 2.5:
    >     >     >     >     > >> https://goo.gl/HWGwpj
    >     >     >     >     > >> It may look ugly as this is direct export
from
    >     > internal
    >     >     >     > confluence with
    >     >     >     >     > >> cosmetic changes and our internal details
removed.
    >     > Let me
    >     >     > know if
    >     >     >     > there
    >     >     >     >     > is
    >     >     >     >     > >> a better place to publish it.
    >     >     >     >     > >>
    >     >     >     >     > >> Feel free to request edit permissions,
I would like
    >     > the
    >     >     > document
    >     >     >     > to be
    >     >     >     >     > >> up-to-date, simplified and corrected
if there are any
    >     >     > errors. The
    >     >     >     > goal
    >     >     >     >     > for
    >     >     >     >     > >> this document is to provide installation
guidance in a
    >     >     > manner
    >     >     >     > that Linux
    >     >     >     >     > >> administrator with basic knowledge could
perform
    >     >     > installation
    >     >     >     > without
    >     >     >     >     > >> opening any other links or searching
for commands,
    >     > step by
    >     >     > step.
    >     >     >     >     > >> Thank you.
    >     >     >     >     > >>
    >     >     >     >     > >> p.s. feel free to let me know if you
will encounter
    >     > any
    >     >     > errors as
    >     >     >     > I've
    >     >     >     >     > >> seen them bunch.
    >     >     >     >     > >>
    >     >     >     >     > >> - Dima
    >     >     >     >     > >>
    >     >     >     >     > >>
    >     >     >     >     > >>
    >     >     >     >     > >> On 11/30/2016 04:45 PM, Zeolla@GMail.com<mailto:
    >     > Zeolla
    >     >     > @GMail.com>
    >     >     >     >     > wrote:
    >     >     >     >     > >> I also have written up a method to retrieve
and setup
    >     > the
    >     >     > required
    >     >     >     >     > >> packages in my script<
    >     >     >     >     > >>
    >     >     >     >     >
    >     >     >     > https://github.com/JonZeolla/Development/blob/master/Bash/
    >     >     > setupMetron.sh>
    >     >     >     >     > >> which could probably be cleaned up and
incorporated.
    >     >     >     >     > >>
    >     >     >     >     > >> Jon
    >     >     >     >     > >>
    >     >     >     >     > >> On Wed, Nov 30, 2016 at 9:24 AM Nick
Allen <
    >     >     > nick@nickallen.org
    >     >     >     > <mailto:
    >     >     >     >     > >> nick@nickallen.org>> wrote:
    >     >     >     >     > >> In regards to your comment about a "full
package
    >     > version
    >     >     > dump"
    >     >     >     > there is
    >     >     >     >     > at
    >     >     >     >     > >> least a start at `metron-deployment/scripts/
    >     >     > platform-info.sh`.
    >     >     >     > If we
    >     >     >     >     > can
    >     >     >     >     > >> enhance that, let's do it.
    >     >     >     >     > >>
    >     >     >     >     > >> On Wed, Nov 30, 2016 at 4:04 AM, shoggi
<
    >     > shoggi@gmail.com
    >     >     > <mailto:
    >     >     >     >     > >> shoggi@gmail.com>> wrote:
    >     >     >     >     > >> Hi
    >     >     >     >     > >>
    >     >     >     >     > >> Just to wrap this up. I've tried to
deploy it on HDP
    >     > 2.5
    >     >     > but I
    >     >     >     > got the
    >     >     >     >     > >> exact same problem. What I did was removing
all
    >     > components
    >     >     > for
    >     >     >     > 2.4.3.0
    >     >     >     >     > and
    >     >     >     >     > >> then created a new cluster based on
2.5. I left it at
    >     > that
    >     >     > as the
    >     >     >     > most
    >     >     >     >     > >> likely issue could be with my base install.
May that
> [...]
    >     >     >     >     > >> things which need to be compiled in,
the versioning
    >     >     > information
    >     >     >     > should
    >     >     >     >     > be
    >     >     >     >     > >> enough. I am saying this, as everyone
starts with a
    >     >     > different base
    >     >     >     >     > system.
    >     >     >     >     > >> Some have the chance to start from scratch,
some have
    >     > a
    >     >     > system
    >     >     >     > running
    >     >     >     >     > and
    >     >     >     >     > >> build something on top and then there
are the
    >     > experienced
    >     >     > Metron
    >     >     >     > users,
    >     >     >     >     > who
    >     >     >     >     > >> have many base requirements.. they tend
to forget.
    >     > And I
    >     >     > believe
    >     >     >     > at the
    >     >     >     >     > end
    >     >     >     >     > >> it always fails just because of some
very tiny small
    >     >     > difference.
    >     >     >     >     > >>
    >     >     >     >     > >> If there is a space somewhere available,
this could
    >     > even be
    >     >     > a
    >     >     >     > spot,
    >     >     >     >     > where
    >     >     >     >     > >> people can say, "hey, I got this running
on XYZ and
    >     > here is
    >     >     > the
    >     >     >     > package
    >     >     >     >     > >> version dump". A simple table with 'Metron
version',
    >     > 'OS
    >     >     > release',
    >     >     >     >     > 'Package
    >     >     >     >     > >> list file', 'Version Details of every
other needed
    >     >     > to-be-compiled
    >     >     >     >     > package',
    >     >     >     >     > >> is already a big help. This really could
supplement
    >     > the
    >     >     > existing
    >     >     >     > guide
    >     >     >     >     > >> found here:
    >     >     >     >     > >>
    >     >     >     >     >
    >     >     >     > https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/METRON/
    >     >     > Metron+Installation+on+an+Ambari-Managed+Cluster
    >     >     >     >     > >> .
    >     >     >     >     > >>
    >     >     >     >     > >> But then, I could be alone and others
did not
    >     > experience
    >     >     > the same
    >     >     >     > and
    >     >     >     >     > >> simply got it to run, I don't know.
Anyway, I would be
    >     >     > happy to
    >     >     >     > help if
    >     >     >     >     > >> help is needed.
    >     >     >     >     > >>
    >     >     >     >     > >> Cheers
    >     >     >     >     > >> Shoggi
    >     >     >     >     > >>
    >     >     >     >     > >> On Sun, Nov 27, 2016 at 3:00 PM, shoggi
<
    >     > shoggi@gmail.com
    >     >     > <mailto:
    >     >     >     >     > >> shoggi@gmail.com>> wrote:
    >     >     >     >     > >> Hi Simon
    >     >     >     >     > >>
    >     >     >     >     > >> Thank you for your very quick response.
I installed
    >     > it on
    >     >     > HDP
    >     >     >     > 2.4.3.0.
    >     >     >     >     > >>
    >     >     >     >     > >> I had a 0.2.0 instance running and was
very conscious
    >     > about
    >     >     >     > versioning
    >     >     >     >     > the
    >     >     >     >     > >> various components. Somehow I had the
understanding
    >     > of not
    >     >     >     > touching 2.5
    >     >     >     >     > >> of yet. I give that a try.
    >     >     >     >     > >> Thanks heaps !
    >     >     >     >     > >> Shoggi
    >     >     >     >     > >> On Sun, Nov 27, 2016 at 2:52 PM, Simon
Elliston Ball <