metron-dev mailing list archives

From James Sirota <jsir...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Reporting Metron Issues
Date Wed, 04 Jan 2017 21:39:51 GMT

Updated as per comments.  Are there more changes?  Or can we put this up for a vote?

All “I have found a bug” issues are considered developer-level issues.  Please report
all developer-level issues to dev@metron.incubator.apache.org.  Examples of developer issues
would be:
Project fails to compile or is failing unit or integration tests
Project or individual components fail to install
There are error messages or failures in my logs
I need help with coding or extending a specific component
etc...
After discussion of the issue on the JIRA if it is clear that you found a bug then you should
file a JIRA (unless you found a security vulnerability).  Follow up on the mailing lists if
you want advice with respect to workaround or a local fix.  Our JIRA is located here.

All  “I have a problem” or "How do you use x" issues are usability issues.  If you are
an end-user of the product and have a comment or question then use user@metron.incubator.apache.org.
 If you have a problem and a strong suspicion that you might have found a bug, please cross-reference
dev@metron.incubator.apache.org as well
I don't understand the UI, what does button x do?
What should the output of function x be?
It would be nice if I had feature x along with feature y
etc...

If you found a security-related issue, please report immediately to security@metron.incubator.apache.org.
Please adhere to the following Apache policy found here. DO NOT FILE A JIRA, DO NOT POST ON
ANY OTHER BOARD
I can get access to data I should not have access to
I have privileges to do things I should not be allowed to do
I found that this project is susceptible to an exploit
etc...

Please report issues related to the JIRA/Wiki to issues@metron.incubator.apache.org
I don't have access to create/assign JIRAs to myself
I don't have visibility/access to certain JIRA featuers
I can't create or view a wiki entry
etc....

20.12.2016, 13:13, "Matt Foley" <mattf@apache.org>:
> Suggestions:
>
> For the first two categories (dev and user), the word “issue” is ambiguous. We should
distinguish between “I have a problem” and “I have found a bug”. “I have a problem”
might mean I need advice, or it might mean I’ve found a bug; and in this case it’s appropriate
to bring it to the mailing lists for comment and advice first. But if it’s clear they’ve
found a bug (or if it becomes clear after interaction on the lists) then they should file
a Jira, with possible follow-up on the mailing lists if they want advice regarding a local
fix or work-around.

> Also, mention that messages should not be cross-posted between dev and user lists. Go
ahead and pick one, and community members will move the posting if it is better suited to
the other list.

> Thanks,
> --Matt
>
> On 12/20/16, 10:27 AM, "James Sirota" <jsirota@apache.org> wrote:
>
>     As a criterion for exiting incubation we need clear documentation for how to
report Metron issues. What do you think about this?