metron-dev mailing list archives

From James Sirota <jsir...@apache.org>
Subject [RESULT] [VOTE] Release Process
Date Fri, 20 Jan 2017 16:36:26 GMT
3 binding +1 (james, kyle, casey), 1 non-binding +1 (matt)

Thanks for voting

James

20.01.2017, 09:33, "James Sirota" <jsirota@apache.org>:
> +1 (binding)
>
> 18.01.2017, 13:03, "Matt Foley" <mattf@apache.org>:
>>  +1 (non-binding)
>>
>>  BTW, here is a collection of small editorial changes. Since these are editorial
rather than substantive, most project teams accept that they can be made by a responsible
PMC member (such as our esteemed chair :-) without re-voting or disrupting a vote in progress.
I suggest we let James make these changes without changing the vote, altho of course if anyone
who already voted +1 feels that correcting these issues would invalidate your vote, please
say so.

>>  Step 4: 2nd bullet: Remove or change obsolete references to the github release
tarball.

>>  Step 6: “compiles” --> “complies”
>>
>>  Step 7: “threat” --> “thread”
>>
>>  Introduction, section “Initiating a New Metron Release”
>>  This sentence is almost certainly a cut-and-paste error:
>>          “Create the MR branch for the previous Metron release by incrementing
the second digit of the previous release like so 0.[FR].[MR].”
>>  I’m not entirely sure what it should read, but the most probable correction based
on the sentence before it would, I think, be (remove the asterisks):
>>          “Create the MR branch for the previous Metron release by incrementing
the *third* digit of the previous release like so 0.[FR].[*MR++*].”

>>  At the end, section “Creating a Maintenance Release”
>>  We got clarification on the urgent voting issue from Mentors, but steps 2-5 aren’t
the steps that get waived. The two sentences:
>>          “Second, if a critical JIRA comes in that requires an immediate
patch we may forego steps 2-5 and immediately cut the MR release. By this we mean that 3 binding
+1 votes are still required, but the 72 hour waiting period can be waved.”
>>  Should be changed to:
>>          “Second, if a critical JIRA comes in that requires an immediate
patch, the votes with three binding +1's are still required, but Step 1 (discussion) and Step
2 (Jira collecting and tracking), and the 72 hour waiting periods in Steps 7 and 8 can be
waived.”

>>  Cheers,
>>  --Matt
>>
>>  On 1/17/17, 8:17 PM, "James Sirota" <jsirota@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>      I made the revisions based on the discuss thread
>>
>>      The document is available here:
>>      https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=66854770
>>
>>      And is also attached for reference to this email.
>>
>>      Please vote +1, -1, or 0 for neutral. The vote will last 72 hours.
>>
>>      Thanks,
>>      James
>>
>>      -----------------
>>      Metron Release Types
>>      There are two types of Metron releases:
>>      Feature Release (FR) - this is a release that has a significant step forward
in feature capability and is denoted by an upgrade of the second digit
>>      Maintenance Release (MR) - this is a set of patches and fixes that are
issued following the FR and is denoted by an upgrade of the third digit
>>      Release Naming Convention
>>      Metron build naming convention is as follows: 0.[FR].[MR]. We keep the
0. notation to signify that the project is still under active development and we will hold
a community vote to go to 1.x at a future time
>>      Initiating a New Metron Release
>>      Immediately upon the release of the previous Metron release create two
branches: FR ++ and MR. Create the FR++ branch by incrementing the second digit like so 0.[FR++].0.
Create the MR branch for the previous Metron release by incrementing the second digit of the
previous release like so 0.[FR].[MR]. All patches to the previous Metron release will be checked
in under the MR branch and where it makes sense also under the FR branch. All new features
will be checked in under the FR branch.
>>      Creating a Feature Release
>>      Step 1 - Initiate a discuss thread
>>      Prior to the release The Release manager should do the following (preferably
a month before the release):
>>      Make sure that the list of JIRAs slated for the release accurately reflects
to reflects the pull requests that are currently in master
>>      Construct an email to the Metron dev board (dev@metron.incubator.apache.org)
which discusses with the community the desire to do a release. This email should contain the
following:
>>      The list of JIRAs slated for the release with descriptions (use the output
of git log and remove all the JIRAs from the last release’s changelog)
>>      A solicitation of JIRAs that should be included with the next release.
Users should rate them as must/need/good to have as well as volunteering.
>>      A release email template is provided here.
>>      Step 2 - Monitor and Verify JIRAs
>>      Once the community votes for additional JIRAs they want included in the
release verify that the pull requests are in before the release, close these JIRAs and tag
them with the release name. All pull requests and JIRAs that were not slated for this release
will go into the next releases. The release manager should continue to monitor the JIRA to
ensure that the timetable is on track until the release date. On the release date the release
manager should message the Metron dev board (dev@metron.incubator.apache.org) announcing the
code freeze for the release.
>>      Step 3 - Create the Release Branch and Increment Metron version
>>      Create an branch for the release (from a repo cloned from https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator-metron.git).
(assuming the release is 0.[FR++].0 and working from master):
>>      git checkout -b Metron_0.[FR++].0
>>      git push --set-upstream origin Metron_0.[FR++].0
>>      File a JIRA to increment the Metron version to 0.[FR++].0. Either do it
yourself or have a community member increment the build version for you. You can look at a
pull request for a previous build to see how this is done. METRON-533 - Up the version for
release DONE
>>      Also, the release manager should have a couple of things set up:
>>      A SVN clone of the repo at https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/metron,
We will refer to this as the dev repo. It will hold the release candidate artifacts
>>      A SVN clone of the repo at https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/metron,
We will refer to this as the release repo. It will hold the release artifacts.
>>      Step 4 - Create the Release Candidate
>>
>>      Now, for each release candidate, we will tag from that branch. Assuming
that this is RC1:
>>      git checkout Metron_0.[FR++].0 && git pull
>>      git tag apache-metron-0.[FR++].0-rc1-incubating
>>      git push origin —tags
>>      Now we must create the release candidate tarball. From the apache repo,
you should run:

>>       git archive --prefix=apache-metron-0.[FR++].0-rc1-incubating/
>>       apache-metron-0.[FR++].0-rc1-incubating | gzip >
>>       apache-metron-0.[FR++].0-rc-incubating.tar.gz
>>
>>      We will refer to this as the release candidate tarball. *Note: Per Apache
policy, the hardware used to create the candidate tarball must be owned by the release manager.
>>      The artifacts for a release (or a release candidate, for that matter) are
as follows:
>>      Release (candidate) Tarball
>>       MD5 hash of the release tarball (md5 apache-metron-Now, we must grab
the release candidate binary from the github releases page (https://github.com/apache/incubator-metron/releases).
In our case, for RC1, that would be https://github.com/apache/incubator-metron/archive/apache-metron-0.[FR++].0-rc1-incubating.tar.gz
We will refer to this as the release candidate tarball.-rc1-incubating.tar.gz > apache-metron-0.[FR++].0-rc1-incubating.tar.gz.md5)
>>       SHA1 hash of the release tarball (gpg --print-md SHA1 apache-metron-0.[FR++].0-rc1-incubating.tar.gz
> apache-metron-0.[FR++].0-rc1-incubating.tar.gz.sha)
>>      GPG signature of release tarball by the release manager
>>       Assuming your public code signing key is 0xDEADBEEF, so signing for me
would be: gpg -u 0xDEADBEEF --armor --output apache-metron-0.[FR++].0-rc1-incubating.tar.gz.asc
--detach-sig apache-metron-0.[FR++].0-rc1-incubating.tar.gz
the instructions at https://www.apache.org/dev/release-signing.html#generate
>>      Note: You only need the -u arg if you have more than one public/private
key pair generated. If you have forgotten it, you can find it from the output of gpg —fingerprint.
It’s the last 4 bytes from the key fingerprint.
>>      The LICENSE file from the release tarball
>>      The KEYS file from the release tarball
>>      The DISCLAIMER file from the release tarball
>>      A CHANGES file denoting the changes
>>      We usually construct this by taking the output of git log | grep METRON
| sed 's/\[//g' | sed 's/\]//g' | grep -v “http” and removing the JIRAs from the previous
releases (it’s in time sorted order so this is easy).

>>      Create a directory named ${VERSION}-RC${RC_NUM}-incubating (in our case,
it’s 0.[FR++].0-RC1-incubating) in the dev repo. Place the artifacts from above into this
directory, add the directory and commit via the subversion client:
>>      svn add 0.[FR++].0-RC1-incubating
>>      svn commit -m "Adding artifacts for Metron 0.[FR++].0-RC1 (incubating)”
>>      Step 5 - Verify the build
>>      Go through the build verification checklist to verify that everything works.
These instructions can be found here: Verifying Builds
http://www.apache.org/foundation/license-faq.html
>>      Step 7 - Call for a community release vote
The vote email template can be found here: Build Vote Template. Allow at least 72 hours for
the community to vote on the release. When you get enough votes close the vote by replying
[RESULT][VOTE] to the email thread with the tally of all the votes
the vote to the incubator general. The same VOTE thread original email is sent to general@incubator.apache.org

>>      If issues are found with the release and the vote fails, then the vote
thread is closed with a synopsis of the voting results and a new RC is worked on in the community
>>      If issues are found with the release and the vote succeeds, then we proceed
to cut the release, but should notify the community of the issues via an email on the dev
list with the accompanying JIRA(s) required to correct the issue(s).

>>      If no issues are found, then we can cut a release
>>      Again, wait for at least 72 hours and then close the vote.
>>      Step 9 - Stage the finished release
>>      A directory with the name of the version (i.e. 0.3.0) should be made in
the release svn repository

>>      Collateral from the release candidate in the dev repo should be moved to
the above directory and renamed to remove the rc (e.g. mv apache-metron-0.3.0-rc1-incubating.tar.gz.sha
apache-metron-0.3.0-incubating.tar.gz.sha)

>>      Add the directory and commit via the subversion client:
>>
>>      svn add 0.3.0-RC1-incubating
>>      svn commit -m "Adding artifacts for Metron 0.3.0 (incubating)”
>>
>>      Remove the old releases from the release repo (only the current version
and the KEYS file should exist there).
>>      Step 14 - Announce build
>>      Send an email out to user@ and dev@ to announce the release along with
the changelog and a word of thanks/praise.
>>      Creating a Maintenance Release
>>      Creation of the Maintenance Release should follow exactly the same set
of steps as creating the Feature Release as outlined above, but with two exception. First,
the version incremented on the maintenance release should be the MR++ so that the release
is named 0.[FR].[MR++]. Second, if a critical JIRA comes in that requires an immediate patch
we may forego steps 2-5 and immediately cut the MR release. By this we mean that 3 binding
+1 votes are still required, but the 72 hour waiting period can be waved. A critical JIRA
is something that is either a security vulnerability or a functional show stopper.
>>      Now, we must grab the release candidate binary from
>>      Ensuring Consistency between Feature and Maintenance releases
>>      Being able to maintain the previous release train, with only critical or
important bug fixes and security fixes (generally not new features) for users who are averse
to frequent large changes is very important for production use. They get stability, while
the feature code proceeds as fast as the community wishes. It is important to assure that
all commits to the maintenance release also get made in the feature branch (if relevant),
to avoid the appearance of regressions in the maintenance branch. The formal process for assuring
this is as follows:
>>      Every maintenance release JIRA should have a corresponding feature JIRA
to make sure that the patch is applied consistently to both branches. The maintenance JIRA
should be cloned and appropriate fix version for the feature release should be applied. If
the fix is not relevant to the feature or maintenance branch then the submitter must explicitly
state this. In general reviewers should refuse a patch PR unless both feature and maintenance
JIRAs have been created.
>>      The release manager has a responsibility to review all commits to the maintenance
line since last release, and make sure they were duplicated to the feature branch (unless
not relevant, which must also be determined).