metron-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Leet <justinjl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Moving GeoIP management away from MySQL
Date Mon, 16 Jan 2017 17:15:18 GMT
I definitely agree on checking out the MaxMind API.  I'll take a look at
it, but at first glance it looks like it does include everything we use.
Great find, JJ.

More details on various people's points:

As a note to anyone hopping in, Simon's point on the range lookup vs a key
lookup is why it becomes a Scan in HBase vs a Get.  As an addendum to what
Simon mentioned, denormalizing is easy enough and turns it into an easy
range lookup.

To David's point, the MapDB does require a network hop, but it's once per
refresh of the data (Got a relevant callback? Grab new data, load it, swap
out) instead of (up to) once per message.  I would expect the same to be
true of the MaxMind db files.

I'd also argue MapDB not really more complex than refreshing the HBase
table, because we potentially have to start worrying about things like
hashing and/or indices and even just general data represtation. It's
definitely correct that the file processing has to occur on either path, so
it really boils down to handling the callback and reloading the file vs
handling some of the standard HBasey things.  I don't think either is an
enormous amount of work (and both are almost certainly more work than
MaxMind's API)

Regarding extensibility, I'd argue for parity with what we have first, then
build what we need from there.  Does anybody have any disagreement with
that approach for right now?

Justin

On Mon, Jan 16, 2017 at 12:04 PM, David Lyle <dlyle65535@gmail.com> wrote:

> It is interesting- save us a ton of effort, and has the right license. I
> think it's worth at least checking out.
>
> -D...
>

> On Mon, Jan 16, 2017 at 12:00 PM, Simon Elliston Ball <
> simon@simonellistonball.com> wrote:
>
> > I like that approach even more. That way we would only have to worry
> about
> > distributing the database file in binary format to all the supervisor
> nodes
> > on update.
> >
> > It would also make it easier for people to switch to the enterprise DB
> > potentially if they had the license.
> >
> > One slight issue with this might be for people who wanted to extend the
> > database. For example, organisations may want to add geo-enrichment to
> > their own private network addresses based modified versions of the geo
> > database. Currently we don’t really allow this, since we hard-code
> ignoring
> > private network classes into the geo enrichment adapter, but I can see a
> > case where a global org might want to add their own ranges and locations
> > the data set. Does that make sense to anyone else?
> >
> > Simon
> >

> > > On 16 Jan 2017, at 16:50, JJ Meyer <jjmeyer0@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello all,
> > >
> > > Can we leverage maxmind's Java client (
> > > https://github.com/maxmind/GeoIP2-java/tree/master/src/
> > main/java/com/maxmind/geoip2)
> > > in this case? I believe it can directly read maxmind file. Plus I think
> > it
> > > also has some support for caching as well.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > JJ

> into
> scale,