metron-dev mailing list archives

From Billie Rinaldi <bil...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Hosting Kraken maven artifacts in incubator-metron git repo
Date Tue, 17 Jan 2017 21:49:05 GMT
On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 3:35 PM, Matt Foley <mattf@apache.org> wrote:

> Perhaps it would be more appropriate to put it under
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/metron/ , perhaps as
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/metron/mvn-repo ?

No, we could only do that if it were a release artifact for an official
release. There is some more information about releases here:
http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#what. Specifically, anything that is
published is considered a release, and that would definitely include
anything on dist.apache.org. We can only release source code and binary
artifacts resulting from compiling that source code.

> We should not host anything with a license that isn’t compatible with
> inclusion in an Apache project.  If we post only non-source artifacts, then
> that would include packages with “Category B List” licenses (that is,
> ‘"WEAK COPYLEFT" LICENSES’) as well as “Category A List” licenses (those
> “SIMILAR IN TERMS TO THE APACHE LICENSE 2.0”) -- per
> https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved .  For versioning, we could simply
> structure as a maven repo, and in fact that’s what I think we should do.
>
> Hosting the source code is not, I think, something we are supposed to do
> for non-Apache projects: https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved again,
> this time the very first question:
>
>     CAN ASF PMCS HOST PROJECTS THAT ARE NOT UNDER THE APACHE LICENSE?
>     No. See the Apache Software Foundation licenses page for more details,
> and the Apache Software Foundation page for additional background.

Kraken does appear to be licensed under ASLv2. Based on that, it might be
possible to use the kraken code as the basis of a submodule of the Metron
project, so that the necessary kraken jars would be built as part of the
Metron build.

Alternatively, someone could just push the kraken jars to Maven central
under a new group id. Here's an example of a personal GitHub repo project
configured to publish to Maven central via Sonatype:
https://github.com/joshelser/dropwizard-hadoop-metrics2/blob/master/pom.xml.