metron-dev mailing list archives

From David Lyle <dlyle65...@gmail.com>
Subject [PROPOSAL] Reduce Reliance on Ansible for Deployment
Date Tue, 17 Jan 2017 15:34:24 GMT
In our "Dev Guide and Committer Review Guide additions" discussion, we had
a bit of a side discussion about reducing reliance (perhaps to zero) on
Ansible for our installation.

It seemed there was consensus around that idea (if not, please let me
know), so I propose the following steps to get there:

1) Refactor existing Ansible deployment to use the Ambari MPack to install
metron-common, metron-enrichments and metron-parsers.
2) Regenerate quick-dev to leverage the change.
3) Create rpm packages for all deployed components that don't currently
have them.
     - Sensor probes
     - Sensor stubs
4) Create MPack service defs for the RPMs in (2).
5) Refactor existing Ansible deployment to use the Ambari MPack to install
all services.
6) Regenerate quick-dev to leverage the change.
7) Plan iteration 2 to see if there are other opportunities to reduce our
use of Ansible.

One note: if we decide to go this direction, it'd be helpful if, during the
transition, we stopped adding additional Ansible deployment code.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

-David...