metron-dev mailing list archives

From Casey Stella <ceste...@gmail.com>
Subject [MENTORS] ICLA for non-committer contributions
Date Fri, 27 Jan 2017 21:36:00 GMT
Hi Mentors,

I was wondering if you could help me settle a question.  What is the ASF's
stance on ICLAs for non-committer contributions?  Are they required?

On the one hand, https://www.apache.org/dev/committers.html#applying-patches
requires only that we attribute appropriately to form a legal papertrail
via the git history.  Also, this discussion (
http://marc.info/?l=incubator-general&m=142175320215392&w=2) seems to
indicate that they are not required.

On the other hand, http://www.apache.org/licenses/#clas indicates that the
ASF "desires" ICLAs for contribution.  I also see some projects requiring
them (i.e. flink and brooklyn) of contributors.

Thanks in advance for the clarification!

Best,

Casey