metron-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Foley <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Reduce Reliance on Ansible for Deployment
Date Tue, 17 Jan 2017 18:17:45 GMT
+1, great you’re addressing this!

On 1/17/17, 7:34 AM, "David Lyle" <dlyle65535@gmail.com> wrote:

    In our "Dev Guide and Committer Review Guide additions" discussion, we had
    a bit of a side discussion about reducing reliance (perhaps to zero) on
    Ansible for our installation.

    It seemed there was consensus around that idea (if not, please let me
    know), so I propose the following steps to get there:

    1) Refactor existing Ansible deployment to use the Ambari MPack to install
    metron-common, metron-enrichments and metron-parsers.
    2) Regenerate quick-dev to leverage the change.
    3) Create rpm packages for all deployed components that don't currently
    have them.
         - Sensor probes
         - Sensor stubs
    4) Create MPack service defs for the RPMs in (2).
    5) Refactor existing Ansible deployment to use the Ambari MPack to install
    all services.
    6) Regenerate quick-dev to leverage the change.
    7) Plan iteration 2 to see if there are other opportunities to reduce our
    use of Ansible.

    One note: if we decide to go this direction, it'd be helpful if, during the
    transition, we stopped adding additional Ansible deployment code.

    Thoughts?

    Thanks,

    -David...