metron-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Merriman <merrim...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Discuss] Direction of metron-docker
Date Mon, 06 Feb 2017 18:03:43 GMT
>From the README:

"Metron Docker is a Docker Compose application that is intended for
development and integration testing of Metron. Use this instead of Vagrant
when:

- You want an environment that can be built and spun up quickly
- You need to frequently rebuild and restart services
- You only need to test, troubleshoot or develop against a subset of
services"

The "Quick Dev" environment actually serves 2 purposes:  a development
environment and an end-to-end testing environment.  This module was
intended to supplement or provide an alternative to the development
environment part of "Quick Dev", not the end-to-end testing part.  It does
have "Docker" in the name of the module so I can see how that might suggest
a fully supported deployment option.  It shouldn't be used for that though
because it doesn't include Ambari or MPack and isn't a true representation
of a production Metron cluster.

What is the direction?  I could see this evolving into a collection of
profiles or recipes.  Need to development a custom parser?  Spin up an
application that only includes the Storm, Kafka and Zookeeper images.  Want
to develop a custom Kibana dashboard?  Spin up Elasticsearch and Kibana
images preloaded with data.  Maybe an analytics profile could be created
that only includes the tools you need for that?  The application that
exists now in metron-docker could be considered a "rest" profile or a
collection of containers that support all the functions of the rest API.
It's very general purpose and supports a lot of use cases so I considered
it a good starting point.  It's very useful if you're developing a UI and
have limited knowledge of Ambari or big data platform services.  That was
the initial motivation.

I think you should view this as more of a toolbox and not a turnkey
installation solution.  Maintaining and building development environments
is something Docker is a really good fit for and I have found this works
much better than our Ansible/Vagrant environment.  It's really fast and
stays up all the time.

But it's completely optional.  Use it if you think it will help you.  Or
don't if "Quick Dev" is good enough and you've figured out how to tune it
so that it's not completely unusable.  If everybody thinks it's confusing
and no one uses it then we can take it out and I'll just go back to
maintaining it privately.  But then I would miss out on Kyle's awesome
contribution :)

Ryan