metron-dev mailing list archives

From Houshang Livian <hliv...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Metron Management UI
Date Fri, 17 Feb 2017 18:24:08 GMT
Hi Dima and Jon,

Do you think the UI:

http://imgur.com/a/QAQyu?

...Is a reasonable place to start as it is?… or do we need to have the Elastic Search Templates
right away?
Are the templates a MUST HAVE in order to add this UI to Metron?

As Simon said, I think we can file a JIRA on the templates and start working on what that
looks like.

What are your thoughts?

On 2/17/17, 10:10 AM, "Simon Elliston Ball" <simon@simonellistonball.com> wrote:

>Seems like the UI discussion has fallen off the inboxes.
>
>We should definitely open up a separate Jira and discussion on the best way to process
elastic search template management. This feels like a non-UI question to me, since it would
apply equally to any other parser config method. I’ll start a separate discuss for that.

>In the meantime it would be great to hear more from the community on the UI at http://imgur.com/a/QAQyu?
>
>Is there anything you see missing around sensor config here?
>Does it look useful?
>Does the flow match the way you would currently think about setting up sensors?
>
>It would be great to get some thoughts.
>
>Simon
>

>> On 1 Feb 2017, at 12:07, Simon Elliston Ball <Simon@simonellistonball.com>
wrote:

>> The MPack creates elastic templates for the standard parsers included in the pack.

>> However, when creating new sensors we should be able to infer Elastic templates from
the schema. There are certain fields that we need to mark types for to generate those templates
(e.g. date / time fields). This goes back to the debate we had a while ago about, for example,
typing in the grok parser, but applies for others too. I suspect that since we should be able
to infer all the types needed for templates, this is more an excellent feature enhancement
for the REST api layer, unless anyone can think of a reason we would need explicit type definition
in the