metron-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Foley <ma...@apache.org>
Subject possibly useful info re kafka and kafka connector versions, with Storm
Date Thu, 23 Mar 2017 17:24:58 GMT
Repost from user@storm:

From: Harsha Chintalapani <storm@harsha.io>
Date: Thursday, March 23, 2017 at 8:51 AM
To: "user@storm.apache.org" <user@storm.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Valid Kafka version for Storm 1.0.2

Hi Anis,

        We've two kafka connectors now. One uses old consumer API (Simple Consumer) https://github.com/apache/storm/tree/master/external/storm-kafka

and there is new storm-kafka-client which uses new consumer API
https://github.com/apache/storm/tree/master/external/storm-kafka-client

The way we build connectors are not necessarily tied to a specific version , as long as the
client APIs are backward compatible you are free to use any version.

In case of 1, You can use kafka version from 0.8.x to 0.10.x

In case of 2, We recommend you use 0.10.0.1 onwards as thats when the kafka client APIs are
stabilized and had critical bug-fixes.

Thanks,

Harsha