metron-dev mailing list archives

From Otto Fowler <ottobackwa...@gmail.com>
Subject [DISCUSS] SIDELOADING PARSERS: REST API
Date Fri, 10 Mar 2017 15:10:44 GMT
As previously discussed here, I have been working on side loading of
parsers.  The goals of this work are:
* Make it possible of developers to create, maintain and deploy parsers
outside of the Metron code tree and not have to fork
* Create maven archetype support for developers of parsers
* Introduce a parser ‘lifecycle’ to support multiple instances and
configurations, states of being installed, under configuration, and deployed
etc.

I would like to have some discussion based on where I am after rebasing
onto METRON-671 which revamps deployment to be totally ambari based.

REST API:

The rest api works right now from what I can see, as everything is in
zookeeper correctly.

but,

Because we don’t have an extension ‘loading’ mechanism, the rest service
explicitly depends on all the parser jars.  And will have to if it wanted to
generically test parsing etc.

I think this is OK in the mean time, but is another thing to points to us
wanting an extension loading and packaging solution.

I also think we may want to add an add parser endpoint, that will handle
the deployment… but we have to sort out ambari, and have the rest stuff
all setup and working by default.