metron-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Zeolla@GMail.com" <zeo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] next release proposal
Date Thu, 20 Apr 2017 11:15:57 GMT
At a high level this looks good to me.  I'm going to try and pick out a PR
that needs some testing and hit it today (pycapa?).  I found an issue in
master yesterday but I don't think it's in the release breach - I'll try to
confirm that that and file the prior JIRA(s).

Jon

On Thu, Apr 20, 2017, 7:00 AM David Lyle <dlyle65535@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Matt,
>
> +1 on the fixes you selected for inclusion. Check with Justin to be sure,
> but I believe METRON-799 is ready for review, so pending that, it's ready
> to go.
>
> -D...
>
>
> On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 2:13 AM, Matt Foley <mattf@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> > I’ve put together RC1 for the 0.4.0 release of Metron, along with its
> > book-site.  It is available for your review at
> >             https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/metron/0.4.
> > 0-RC1-incubating/
> >
> > I’m not putting it to VOTE yet, because I think some additional fixes are
> > probably necessary:
> > • We should add documentation for the remaining backward-incompatible
> > changes
> > • We should add these important bug fixes that have been committed to
> > master since the 0.4.0 branch was cut:
> >     o METRON-634 fixes for Mpack for Centos7
> >     o METRON-856 Ansible rpm build wipes out prior binary build
> >     o METRON-821 Minor fixes in full dev kerberos setup instructions
> >     o Please give me your +1 for these additions
> > • These PRs are currently open, and seem important to complete the
> > Kerberos picture:
> >     o METRON-799: The MPack should function in a kerberized cluster
> >     o METRON-835 Use Profiler with Kerberos
> >     o METRON-836 Use Pycapa with Kerberos
> >     o METRON-859 Use REST application with Kerberos
> >     o Please give me your evaluation of whether these can be committed
> > Real Soon Now, or we should not wait for them.
> > • This PR is open and seems important to complete the REST picture:
> >     o METRON-795: Install Metron REST with Ambari MPack
> >     o Please give me your evaluation of whether this can be committed
> Real
> > Soon Now, or we should not wait for it.
> > • Anything else?  I’ve deliberately left out the commits on master that
> > represent new functionality not already in (or mostly in) the 0.4.0
> branch.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > --Matt
> >
> >
> > On 4/18/17, 5:30 PM, "Matt Foley" <mattf@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> >     Thanks, we’re now up to 4 backward-incompatible issues.  Any others
> > should be so marked?
> >
> >     On 4/17/17, 4:43 PM, "Matt Foley" <mattf@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> >         Hi all,
> >         Out of the 58 Jiras resolved, completely or partially, between
> > 0.3.1 and 0.4.0, only one is labeled “backward-incompatible” and has text
> > in the “Docs Text” field.  And it’s super minor (METRON-771).
> >
> >         Is this really true?  If so, great, but if not, please help
> people
> > upgrade without glitches:  Fix these fields in your jiras, so they can be
> > included in the Release Notes.
> >         a) In the “Labels” field, add “backward-incompatible”.  (It will
> > autocomplete for you.)
> >         b) In the “Doc Text” field, say what the issue is and what a
> > person upgrading should do about it, if anything.
> >
> >         As usual, non-response will be considered positive confirmation
> > that no response is necessary :-)
> >         Please try to address in the next day or so.
> >
> >         Thanks,
> >         Your humble Release Manager
> >
> >
> >         On 4/12/17, 10:59 AM, "Zeolla@GMail.com" <zeolla@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >             I agree conceptually but haven't looked at them each
> > individually to see
> >             how much they impact and if a short timeline for merging is
> > reasonable.
> >             METRON-821 just needs a minor change and then a final
> > run-through before
> >             I'm comfortable merging it in.
> >
> >             Jon
> >
> >             On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 11:44 AM Nick Allen <
> > nick@nickallen.org> wrote:
> >
> >             > It would be nice to close out all the "Kerberos" related
> PRs
> > prior to the
> >             > release.  Let me know if anyone thinks any of these are not
> > feasible for
> >             > the release.
> >             >
> >             > To that end I went through and reviewed some of the
> > outstanding ones below
> >             > to try and help move them along.  Any others willing to
> help
> > would be much
> >             > appreciated.
> >             >
> >             > METRON-836 Use Pycapa with Kerberos
> >             > #524 opened 18 hours ago by nickwallen
> >             >
> >             > METRON-835 Use Profiler with Kerberos
> >             > #521 opened 2 days ago by nickwalle
> >             >
> >             > METRON-833: Update MaaS documentation to explain how it
> > interacts with
> >             > kerberos
> >             > #520 opened 5 days ago by cestella
> >             >
> >             > METRON-799: The MPack should function in a kerberized
> cluster
> >             > #518 opened 5 days ago by justinlee
> >             >
> >             > METRON-821 Minor fixes in full dev kerberos setup
> > instructions
> >             > #510 opened 8 days ago by JonZeolla  4 of 4
> >             >
> >             > METRON-819: Document kafka console producer parameter for
> > sensors with
> >             > kerberos
> >             > #507 opened 9 days ago by mmiklavc  4 of 4
> >             >
> >             >
> >             >
> >             >
> >             >
> >             > On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 2:09 PM, Matt Foley <
> mattf@apache.org>
> > wrote:
> >             >
> >             > > Hi all,
> >             > > Although it’s only been a few weeks since the last
> release
> > was finally
> >             > > published, that process started in January :-)
> >             > > Also, the last commit in 0.3.1 was Feb 23, and there’s
> > been a ton of
> >             > > really cool new stuff added since then:
> >             > >
> >             > > Biggest items:
> >             > > - Multiple commits for REST API (base Jira: METRON-503)
> >             > > - Multiple commits to work with Kerberized (secure)
> > clusters (mult.
> >             > Jiras)
> >             > >
> >             > > Other major new features:
> >             > > - METRON-690: DSL-based sparse time window specification
> > for Profiler
> >             > > - METRON-733: Remove Geo db from ParserBolt
> >             > > - METRON-686: Record rule set that fired during Threat
> > Triage
> >             > > - METRON-743: Sort files when reading results from Pcap
> >             > > - METRON-701: Triage metrics produced by Profiler
> >             > > - METRON-744: Stellar external functions loaded from HDFS
> > (and huge
> >             > > speed-up for function resolution)
> >             > > - METRON-694: Index errors from Topologies, and
> >             > > - METRON-745: Create Error dashboards
> >             > > - METRON-712: Separate eval from parse in Stellar
> >             > > - METRON-765: Add GUID to messages
> >             > > - METRON-793: Updated to storm-kafka-client spout
> >             > >
> >             > > We’ve also had numerous bug fixes, docs improvements, and
> > improvements to
> >             > > deployment tools (docker, ansible, mpack, quickdev, and
> > fulldev).
> >             > >
> >             > > I think the REST API and Kerberization, by themselves,
> > would justify a
> >             > > release.  Along with the others, I’d like to propose that
> > we make a
> >             > release
> >             > > soon.  The time frame I had in mind was at the end of
> this
> > week I could
> >             > cut
> >             > > a release branch (so on-going work in master doesn’t get
> > blocked) and
> >             > start
> >             > > the process of generating an RC.
> >             > >
> >             > > What do you-all think?
> >             > > Also, what additional work do you think should be
> included
> > in this
> >             > > release, and can it realistically get done by the end of
> > this week?  The
> >             > > time frame is, of course, flexible at the pleasure of the
> > community – but
> >             > > also, there will be another release in another couple
> > months or so, so no
> >             > > need to rush stuff.
> >             > >
> >             > > Thanks,
> >             > > --Matt
> >             > >
> >             > >
> >             > >
> >             >
> >             --
> >
> >             Jon
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
>
-- 

Jon

Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message