metron-dev mailing list archives

From Otto Fowler <ottobackwa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Easing the ramp-up into contributing
Date Fri, 28 Jul 2017 15:51:04 GMT
+1 for CONTRIBUTING.md

On July 28, 2017 at 09:14:38, Justin Leet (justinjleet@gmail.com) wrote:

I'm gonna break replies into chunks, since I'm responding to a few people
here.

Re Nick:
I'm honesty not sure how we'd want to improve that portion of the landing
experience, and I'm going to be totally honest the elevator pitch
articulation of things is something I'm notably awful at. Having said
that, I guarantee if that's your thought; other people have thought the
same thing. I'd be cool with having an improved "What is Metron?", but I'd
probably need someone else to at least start that discussion up before I
have a particularly useful opinion.

Re Otto:
What do we think about adding a CONTRIBUTING.md file, rolling it into the
site-book, and adding a short blurb linking to it on the main README.md?
Github talks about it here:
https://github.com/blog/1184-contributing-guidelines.

I think this is also a good way to roll in Otto's comment about encouraging
reviews of PRs and emphasizing that we're definitely accepting of
contributions across all spectrums.

At that point, I think people should pretty easily be able to find it from
the main landing page and get a good overview of how people can hop in and
help. If we think that would be helpful, I'm happy to create a jira and
grab it, even if it might take a bit to get to. It's also a good way to
migrate of that info out of the wiki like Jon mentioned.

Re Matt:
Thanks for taking offering to take a look at it. I agree, I don't think
it's the most important thing, but it is (hopefully) a pretty low hanging
fruit that provides value to people just hopping in (or even hopping into a
new area). I think the label is a good idea, because I think we're
probably going to start having tickets to improve and clean some of that up
as we mature.

On Thu, Jul 27, 2017 at 3:33 PM, Matt Foley <mfoley@hortonworks.com> wrote:

> Really good discussion thread, thanks for opening it Justin.
>
> I’m a fan of adding javadocs to the publicly available doc set. It’s not
> the most important of the items listed below, but it is easy, and will
push
> people to be more attentive to dev documentation.
>
> METRON-759 is open for that, and I’ll take a crack at it.
> I also suggest we start using “javadoc” (NOT “javadocs” plural) as a
Label