metron-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Foley <mfo...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Code style change requires vote?
Date Tue, 01 Aug 2017 01:36:08 GMT
Hi Justin,
Technically, acceptance into the code base with appropriate review and +1’s signifies lazy
consensus of all committers (since any committer can blackball a PR with a single justified
-1).

If you (or any community member) is concerned that people didn’t have sufficient opportunity
to review, OR passed on the opportunity to review because they didn’t understand the importance
of the issue, then it is a good-citizen thing to bring it up in the mailing list -- as you
have now done. (You’re a gentleman and a scholar!)

If the community has accepted enforcement of coding style via robot, then documenting that
behavior seems an appropriate thing to do, certainly not requiring a vote on its own.  (Please
do!)  So the question is, did the community _really_ accept it?

I looked over the history of PR#577, and it sure looks to me like the community accepted it
with (lengthy) review, due consideration, and two enthusiastic +1’s.

As people actually experience the results, there’s always opportunity for second thoughts
and fine tuning.  I’d say go with the commit, and thanks for the contribution!

--Matt