metron-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Allen <n...@nickallen.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Feature Branches and updating from Master
Date Wed, 30 Aug 2017 15:23:22 GMT
I think opening PRs is the way to go.  We're going to have maybe three
kinds of merges when we sync a feature branch with master.

   - The *good* kind when there are no conflicts.  Yay!  Easy review, no
   problems, quick +1.
   - The *bad* kind when there are conflicts.  This will take some level of
   development work to reconcile the changes that occurred in master with the
   feature branch.  In some cases resolving the conflict may be simple and
   obvious.  In other cases, there may need to be some decisions made.  All
   things that a good PR can help with.
   - The *ugly* kind when there are changes in master that just don't work
   at all in the feature branch; like updates to files that don't exist in the
   feature branch.  On this one, I am not quite sure what the right approach
   would be. Unless someone else has a better idea, I'm sure this can be
   figured out if/when this happens.