metron-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Foley <mfo...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Elasticsearch masters_also_are_datanodes doesn't work.
Date Wed, 13 Sep 2017 19:04:48 GMT
That it doesn’t work in Ambari, at least to the point of writing thru to the config file
(whether or not it actually works with ES), is quite mystifying.  Silly question, but, are
you pressing the “Save” button after changing the field?  Are you perhaps not logged into
Ambari with an ambari user id that has privs to change this config?  Did you use non-default
user configuration with Ambari, and if so are you running with an admin-priv ambari account?

From: Laurens Vets <laurens@daemon.be>
Date: Tuesday, September 12, 2017 at 8:32 PM
To: "dev@metron.apache.org" <dev@metron.apache.org>
Cc: Michael Miklavcic <michael.miklavcic@gmail.com>, Matt Foley <mfoley@hortonworks.com>
Subject: Re: Elasticsearch masters_also_are_datanodes doesn't work.

See inline.
Now, Laurens, two question for you:   First, please confirm: Are you setting the value of
masters_also_are_datanodes via the masters_also_are_datanodes field in the Ambari configuration
GUI?  Or directly editing files?
I'm using Ambari to edit the configuration. However, I have to manually edit the file locally
as the Ambari configuration doesn't work.
Second, do you set it at the initial install time, or afterward?  I’m pretty sure it needs
to be set at initial install time, before you ever launch the Elasticsearch nodes.  I’m
dubious about whether an Elasticsearch master can learn to be a datanode if it first wakes
up and configures itself to not be one.  But I’m not an Elasticsearch expert, so if someone
else knows different, please say so.
In this case, I forgot to set it initially, so I tried to change it afterwards to no avail.
Hope this helps more than obfuscates.
--Matt