metron-dev mailing list archives

From Laurens Vets <laur...@daemon.be>
Subject Re: Elasticsearch masters_also_are_datanodes doesn't work.
Date Wed, 13 Sep 2017 20:14:40 GMT
Yes, I'm saving the changes. The orange bar pops up saying I have to
restart elasticsearch, which I do. I'm logged in with the admin user, it
has privileges to do everything else. I'm using a bare metal install via
Ambari. Everything else seems to work through Ambari except this :)

On 2017-09-13 12:04, Matt Foley wrote:

> That it doesn't work in Ambari, at least to the point of writing thru to the config file
(whether or not it actually works with ES), is quite mystifying.  Silly question, but, are
you pressing the "Save" button after changing the field?  Are you perhaps not logged into
Ambari with an ambari user id that has privs to change this config?  Did you use non-default
user configuration with Ambari, and if so are you running with an admin-priv ambari account?

> FROM: Laurens Vets <laurens@daemon.be>
> DATE: Tuesday, September 12, 2017 at 8:32 PM
> TO: "dev@metron.apache.org" <dev@metron.apache.org>
> CC: Michael Miklavcic <michael.miklavcic@gmail.com>, Matt Foley <mfoley@hortonworks.com>
> SUBJECT: Re: Elasticsearch masters_also_are_datanodes doesn't work.
>
> See inline.
>
>> Now, Laurens, two question for you:   First, please confirm: Are you setting the
value of masters_also_are_datanodes via the masters_also_are_datanodes field in the Ambari
configuration GUI?  Or directly editing files?

> I'm using Ambari to edit the configuration. However, I have to manually edit the file
locally as the Ambari configuration doesn't work.

>> Second, do you set it at the initial install time, or afterward?  I'm pretty sure
it needs to be set at initial install time, before you ever launch the Elasticsearch nodes.
 I'm dubious about whether an Elasticsearch master can learn to be a datanode if it first
wakes up and configures itself to not be one.  But I'm not an Elasticsearch expert, so if
someone else knows different, please say so.

> In this case, I forgot to set it initially, so I tried to change it afterwards to no
avail.

> Hope this helps more than obfuscates.
>
> --Matt
>
> FROM: Michael Miklavcic <michael.miklavcic@gmail.com>
> DATE: Tuesday, September 12, 2017 at 4:54 PM
> TO: "dev@metron.apache.org" <dev@metron.apache.org>
> CC: Matt Foley <mfoley@hortonworks.com>
> SUBJECT: Re: Elasticsearch masters_also_are_datanodes doesn't work.
>
> At the very least, the value provided by default seems to have changed to a "1" instead
of "true" without the tooltip having been updated to match.

> ERROR! FILENAME NOT SPECIFIED.
>
> On Tue, Sep 12, 2017 at 4:00 PM, Michael Miklavcic <michael.miklavcic@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I think this is our default setup for full dev. It's only a 1-node VM, so I'm pretty
sure that it would not work otherwise. I'm spinning up full dev now and will look into it
also.