metron-dev mailing list archives

From James Sirota <jsir...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Metron - Emailing Alerts
Date Wed, 13 Dec 2017 21:52:43 GMT
I think there may be gaps in doing it with the profiler.  You can record stats and counts of
different alert types, and maybe even alert ids, but you can't cross-correlate these IDs to
the alert body.  At least not in the profiler.  I was thinking about emailing something that
looks like a zeppelin report.  You would run it in a cron, export to PDF, and send that out
as a summary.  It can be a simple list of alerts that match your rule, or it can have aggregations,
graphics, metrics, KPI screens, etc.  That would be the feature that I would want to discuss
and flesh out

Thanks,
James

13.12.2017, 14:26, "Simon Elliston Ball" <simon@simonellistonball.com>:
> We can already do that with profiles I would have thought. Create a profile that only
picks alerts and then base your emails only from the alert events produced by that profile.
Would that create the right batching mechanism (at a cost of possible higher latency than
you might get with a more specific alert batcher?)

> Simon
>
>>  On 13 Dec 2017, at 21:23, James Sirota <jsirota@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>  I agree with Simon. If you email each alert individually you will be overwhelmed.
I think a better idea would be to email alert summaries periodically, which is more manageable.
This is probably a feature worthy of consideration for Metron.

>>  13.12.2017, 12:19, "Simon Elliston Ball" <simon@simonellistonball.com>:
>>>  Metron generates alerts onto a Kafka queue, which can be used to integrate
with Alert management tools, usually some sort of existing alert aggregation tool.

>>>  An alternative approach common with this is to have a tool like Apache NiFi
attach to the Metron alert feed and send email.

>>>  The solution here would be to have Metron generate alerts (by adding the is_alert:
true flag in the enrichment process) and possibly other flags like alert_email for example,
and then have NiFi use ConsumeKafka and then filter out the alert only messages in NiFi to
use the PutEmail processor (probably with a ControlRate before it too).

>>>  Something I would caution is that email is not a great way to manage or send
alerts at the volume likely to occur in network monitoring tools. A spike in network traffic
can lead to a very large number of emails, which tends to then cause you bigger problems.
As such we usually find people want some sort of buffering or aggregation of alerts, hence
the use of a an alert management or ticketing solution in front.

>>>  Simon

in the Metron stack that uses attributes from the GROK parser?

>>  Thank you,
>>
>>  James Sirota
>>  PMC- Apache Metron
>>  jsirota AT apache DOT org