metron-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Leet <justinjl...@gmail.com>
Subject [DISCUSS] Removing Markdown files from rat exclusion
Date Sat, 23 Dec 2017 16:08:16 GMT
I have a PR currently out (https://github.com/apache/metron/pull/883) that
removes the rat exclusion on Markdown files. There was a discuss thread
awhile back about adding the header and removing the exclusion where it was
agreed that we should do this to meet Apache requirements.  Unfortunately,
it didn't get any follow on.

Right now the PR has two +1s, but it could potentially be problematic with
existing PRs.

Any PR that meets two conditions could potentially be problematic
1. It adds a new Markdown file
2. Travis was run before the exclusion PR was merged.

This is because whoever does the merge might not realize that master should
be merged in and the markdown file updated with the Apache header.  This
would result in master breaking (although it's a pretty easy fix).

Are we okay with merging this now/soon, or do we want to take additional
steps to ensure we don't run into issues? If we want, I can run through the
PRs and add comments before merging.  Is this sufficient to at least
mitigate the most obvious problems?

I took a very quick glance through some of the most recent PRs and only two
really stood out to me (although I'm sure there are older ones that are
still being worked on or looked at)

METRON-1380 https://github.com/apache/metron/pull/882 - Adds a new markdown
file, but Travis failed. If it gets fixed before this PR is merged we could
run into the problem
METRON-1351 https://github.com/apache/metron/pull/868 - Adds a new markdown
file and Travis succeeded. This would break master if merged as-is after my
PR.