metron-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Allen <n...@nickallen.org>
Subject [DISCUSS] Stellar in a Zeppelin Notebook
Date Tue, 19 Dec 2017 15:03:09 GMT
(1) I love the REPL, but I hate how inaccessible it is.

(2) I love our use cases
<https://github.com/apache/metron/tree/master/use-cases/geographic_login_outliers>
and
examples
<https://github.com/apache/metron/tree/master/metron-analytics/metron-profiler#creating-profiles>,
but I hate how difficult it is for a new user to run them.

(3) I love the extensibility of Metron, but I hate looking at JSON.

(4) I love the Profiler, but I hate not being able to *see* my profiles as
plots.

Let me introduce, Stellar running in a Zeppelin Notebook.

(1) Access the REPL from any web browser.

(2) Create executable use cases that can be easily shared between users.

(3) Use the simpler management functions to interact with Metron (less
JSON).

(4) Extract your profiles and create a time series plot.

[image: Inline image 1]
The screenshot above is a very lightweight MVP showing that we can run
Stellar from Zeppelin.  I have a lot more work ahead in refactoring the
existing Stellar Shell/REPL functionality so that we get the same
experience in Zeppelin as we get on the command line.