metron-dev mailing list archives

From "Zeolla@GMail.com" <zeo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Resources for how to contribute to Apache Metron
Date Wed, 20 Dec 2017 15:15:31 GMT
For nearly everybody I've talked to about this project that had complaints,
I've heard something about the significant barrier to entry, divided into
two general categories.  Category 1 is that a lot of security teams lack
substantial experience with Hadoop and would like to get a better
understanding of how the involved components fit together - not
just kafka goes to storm goes to kafka, or a link to the kafka docs for
details about kafka, but a little bit more detail as to _why_ those
components are in use in metron, what properties those components possess
at a high level _which makes them appealing to us_, and how they're
_currently used_ in the metron environment.  Category 2 is that it is
generally more difficult than it should be to get a testing/poc environment
running - running it on a laptop (especially non-macOS) can be a pain to
get running, some laptops simply cannot run it, etc.  I've heard a few
times that a company uses Azure (not AWS) and they would like to quickly
spin it up there.

Just my $0.02

Jon

--