metron-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Miklavcic <michael.miklav...@gmail.com>
Subject [DISCUSS] Metron RPM spec changelog
Date Wed, 18 Apr 2018 13:46:59 GMT
We discovered yesterday while reviewing a PR that the RPM changelog hasn't
been maintained since 9/25/17. There are 7 changes to that file that have
not been logged in the changelog itself. The question is if we want to keep
maintaining the changelog and, if so, should we patch the existing log with
the missing commits. Any opinions on this? I myself don't have a strong
opinion either way, but we shouldn't leave it in its current state.

Mike

Quoting the conversation between myself and Justin Leet:

https://github.com/apache/metron/pull/996#issuecomment-382194736
@justinleet Do we still want/need to do this? The last log change was Tue
Sep 25 2017 by @merrimanr in METRON-1207. However, there have been 6
changes to the spec since then that have not made it to the change log. I
believe there was a reason we started doing this (in duplication of source
control), but I don't recall specifically. Do remember why that was?

https://github.com/apache/metron/pull/996#issuecomment-382199021
I believe, and my memory is pretty fuzzy, is that it's best practice to
maintain that changelog because it's useful for auditing and tracking
purposes given that it's available on the rpm itself.

There's probably a couple questions here

   1. Are we going to maintain it going forward? If not, we should just
   dump it entirely.
   2. If we choose to do so, do we want/need to update the changelog for
   the missing commits (and probably to use the dev list as authors, rather
   than individuals)?

Might be worth opening a discuss on it. I could be persuaded either way in
terms of whether we update it for this PR or not, but I have a slight
preference on adding it until there's agreement we aren't doing it.