metron-dev mailing list archives

From "Zeolla@GMail.com" <zeo...@gmail.com>
Subject [DISCUSS] Getting to a 1.0 release
Date Wed, 15 Aug 2018 18:49:07 GMT
So, as has been discussed in a few
<https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/0445cd8f94dfb844cd5a23ac3eeca04c9f44c9d8f269c6ef12cb3598@%3Cdev.metron.apache.org%3E>
other
<https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/427a20c22207e84331b94e8ead9a4172a22577d26eb581c0e564d0dc@%3Cdev.metron.apache.org%3E>
recent dev list threads, I would like to discuss what a Metron 1.0 release
looks like.

In order to kick off the conversation, I would like to make a few
suggestions regarding "what 1.0 means to me," but I'm very interested to
hear everybody else's opinions.

In order to go 1.0 I believe we should have:
1. A clear, supported method of upgrading from one version of Metron to the
next.  We have attempted
<https://github.com/apache/metron/blob/master/Upgrading.md> to make this
easier in the past, but it is currently not
<https://github.com/apache/metron/tree/master/metron-deployment/packaging/ambari/metron-mpack#limitations>
supported
<https://github.com/apache/metron/tree/master/metron-deployment/packaging/ambari/elasticsearch-mpack#limitations>
.
2. Authentication for all of the UIs and APIs should be secure and support
SSO.  I believe this is in progress via METRON-1663
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/METRON-1663>.
3. Each of our personas
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/METRON/Metron+User+Personas+And+Benefits>
should
be well documented, understood, and supported.
 - The current state of documentation is, in my opinion, inadequate and I
admit I am partially to blame for this.  I suggest we define a strict
approach for documentation, align to it (such as perhaps migrating all
useful wiki documentation to git), and enforce it.
 - I would consider METRON-1699
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/METRON-1699> as a critical item for
a Security Data Scientist, but it is currently not clear to me where the
line exists between some of the other personas, or that each persona has
been sufficiently implemented.
4. A performance tuning guide should be available for all of the main
components, whether as an independent document or as a part of a larger
document.
5. Simple data ingest.
 - Similar to the ongoing conversation for NiFi integration
<https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/d7bb4d32c8c42bd40b2f26973f989bcba16010a672fd8a533a5544bf@%3Cdev.metron.apache.org%3E>,
we should be able to say that we have broken down the barriers to getting
data into a Metron cluster in easy and efficient ways.  In addition to
NiFi, having support for other popular tools such as beats
<https://www.elastic.co/products/beats>, fluentd <https://www.fluentd.org/>,
etc.
 - Parsers should be pluggable, with independent tests and the ability to
make versioned modifications with roll-backs.

What else?  Are any of these items not necessary for a 1.0?

Jon
--

Jon