metron-dev mailing list archives

From Casey Stella <ceste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Stellar REST client
Date Fri, 19 Oct 2018 15:58:18 GMT
I think it makes a lot of sense.  A couple of questions:

   - What actions do you see the REST verbs corresponding to?  I would
   understand GET (which is in effect "evaluate an expression", right?), but
   I'm not sure about the others.
   - We should probably be careful about caching stellar expressions.  Not
   all stellar expressions are deterministic (e.g. PROFILE_GET may not be as
   the lookback window is bound to current time).  Ultimately, I think we
   should probably bake whether a function is deterministic into stellar so
   that *stellar* can cache where appropriate (e.g. if every part of an
   expression is deterministic, then pull from cache otherwise recompute).
   All of this to say, if you're going to make it configurable, IMO we should
   make it a configuration that the user passes in at request time so they
   have the control over whether the expression is safe to cache or otherwise.

Without more compelling reasons to not do so, I'd suggest we use HTTP
Components as it's another apache project and under active
development/support.  I'd also be ok with OkHttp if it's actively
maintained.