mina-dev mailing list archives

From "Irving, Dave" <dave.irv...@logicacmg.com>
Subject RE: NIO channel "commands" or something mad like that....
Date Thu, 01 Jun 2006 13:31:37 GMT

Suf wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Just wondering, wouldn't that be more suitable for a codec
> implementation?

The problem is that Mina primarily talks in ByteBuffers. ByteBuffers are
written, ByteBuffers are read.
This is perfect for 99.99% of uses.
However, sometimes you need access to the "guts" or "lower levels" (in
NIOs case, this means the channels).

The reason FileChannel#transferTo is good is that the program does not
(in theory) have to load the bytes of the file in to user space, and
then copy them back out to the destination (Of course, this depends on
the JVM implementation....).

However, I don't think such low level shenanigans are possible in Mina
at the moment - meaning - yeah - I'd currently have to stream the
contents in to user space.

> Suf

and inform the sender. Thank you.