mina-dev mailing list archives

From "Axl Mattheus" <axl.matth...@gmail.com>
Subject A little direction please
Date Fri, 02 Jun 2006 14:16:19 GMT
Hi,

I am investigating mechanisms to implement a systems health monitor. The
requirements state that a central health monitor keeps availability
information about various sub-systems. If a component wants to know whether
a sub-system is available it asks the central health monitor. The
communication between the component and health monitor is via a network. It
is estimated that between 5000 and 10000 requests may be made per second.

There are two types of requests that can be sent to the health monitor. The
first type is a service-availability-status-request. It contains the
following information:
1.  Which component wants to know - it is an integer.
2.  Which sub-system is being enquired about - integer.
The second type of request is a report-a-broken-sub-system-request. It
contains the following information:
1.  Which component is reporting the broken sub-system - integer.
2.  Which sub-system is broken - integer.
3.  What kind of error did the component encounter - integer.

The health monitor responds to service-availability-status-requests. The
response contains the following information:
1.  The status of the sub-system enquired about - integer.

It seems like MINA is the perfect solution. To the problem.

Here are my questions:
1.  Should I write my own codecs?
2.  Will the object serialization codec suffice?
3.  I am not quite sure how to string all this together. I have read through
the examples. I have watched the presentation. Can anyone please give me a
couple of pointers how I would go about doing what I set out to do?

Thank you

ax/