mina-dev mailing list archives

From "Austin Lee" <austinflor...@gmail.com>
Subject Question regarding doing a "push" from the server side
Date Fri, 07 Jul 2006 17:30:37 GMT
Hi all.

I have a simple question for which there is probably a simple answer
that I just haven't stumbled upon in the documentation. If I am
running a server with say 1,000 clients, and I want to push a message
to one of the clients, say client#68, how would I go about doing this
using the MINA framework? For instance, if my server is the famous
chat server example, and I wish to send a private message to
client#68, based on an asyncronous request that is triggered by an
outside process (not having every client poll for PMs).

In traditional Java NIO server code, I would put the logic to check
for a PM (say waiting in a queue on another thread) in the PRIMARY
execution loop / dispatcher where the keys are read in, perhaps just
one line above the code that grabs in the keys for selecting and
sending to the handlers. Is there a built-in way to do this in MINA
that I could use? Am I going about this the wrong way?

Thanks in advance,
Austin