mina-dev mailing list archives

From Frédéric Brégier <fred.breg...@free.fr>
Subject Re: Using Java5 concurrent if available
Date Mon, 25 Sep 2006 18:05:43 GMT
I agree with you, and more since I try also to make a forward
backport (same package name but direct java5 classes).
But it was not feasable (it takes me 1 day to figure out).
As Holger said, there is so many classes with a lot of dependencies
such that it is quite impossible (at least in a reasonable time).
I think like peter, removing the prefix is very quick, not so
difficult, just need to recompile then, and with Eclipse it takes
about 5 minutes...

Frederic
==

On Sep 25, 2006, at 2:15 AM, Niklas Therning wrote:
>> Don't you think someone would have done it by now if it were even
>> remotely
>> possible? Do you also realize that JDK 1.4 until recently had very
>> bad
>> synchronization bugs itself?
>
> You're most probably right. Maybe it would still be feasible to do
> something like this for the small subset of functionality MINA
> actually needs?

the quick-hack is to modify the source to remove the
'edu.emory.mathcs.backport.' prefixes on the backported import
statements. then anything that uses the backport compiles with the
java5 versions.

this is what i do when building mina for my use, and its a very small
modification for anyone that's building from SVN to handle.

my view is that anyone that /needs/ java5 and no backport stuff now
can do this, otherwise wait for 1.1 :)

-pete