mina-dev mailing list archives

From "Mike Grundvig" <m...@electrotank.com>
Subject Re: large messages over datagram socket
Date Fri, 01 Sep 2006 14:28:04 GMT
As soon as you start implementing guaranteed delivery and packet spanning
with UDP, you might want to take a serious look at TCP again. It's a great
deal of work to implement and if a re-delivery is required, it will often be
slower then TCP. Basically, the advantages of UDP are lost quickly once the
packets get loaded down with extras needed for custom protocols. This is why
most UDP systems are based on a fire-and-forget mentality (like video
streaming or FPS games).

If you have to use UDP for some other reason, completely ignore me :).
Sadly, I'm still getting my head around MINA and so I don't have any
specific implementation advice. Good luck!

Michael Grundvig
Electrotank, Inc
http://www.electrotank.com

----- Original Message -----
From: "Newcomb, Michael-P57487" <Michael.Newcomb@gdc4s.com>
To: <mina-dev@directory.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, September 01, 2006 9:15 AM
Subject: large messages over datagram socket

Can you give me some clues as to how to implement this? I realize that
portions of messages could get lost, so, how would you recommend
implementing a 'best effort' type of service where large messages are
split and sent, then reassembled if all of them make it, and dropped
after some time if all of them don't...

Would this be a candidate for an IoFilter?

Also, Niklas mentioned MINA 0.9, is that a release somewhere or is that
what is in HEAD?

Thanks,
Michael