mina-dev mailing list archives

From "Benoit Hudzia" <benoit.hud...@gmail.com>
Subject RE: large messages over datagram socket
Date Fri, 01 Sep 2006 14:41:01 GMT

E-mail: benoit [dot] hudzia [at] ucd [dot] ie
Web: <http://benoit.hudzia.googlepages.com/>  Personnal Web Page,
<http://voidreflections.blogspot.com> Blog

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Grundvig [mailto:mike@electrotank.com]
Sent: 01 September 2006 15:28
To: mina-dev@directory.apache.org
Subject: Re: large messages over datagram socket

As soon as you start implementing guaranteed delivery and packet spanning
with UDP, you might want to take a serious look at TCP again. It's a great
deal of work to implement and if a re-delivery is required, it will often be

slower then TCP. Basically, the advantages of UDP are lost quickly once the
packets get loaded down with extras needed for custom protocols. This is why

most UDP systems are based on a fire-and-forget mentality (like video
streaming or FPS games).

If you have to use UDP for some other reason, completely ignore me :).
Sadly, I'm still getting my head around MINA and so I don't have any
specific implementation advice. Good luck!

Michael Grundvig
Electrotank, Inc
http://www.electrotank.com