mina-dev mailing list archives

From "John E. Conlon" <jcon...@verticon.com>
Subject Re: MINA as pure OSGi bundles?
Date Mon, 04 Sep 2006 19:08:35 GMT
Hi Trustin,

On Mon, 2006-09-04 at 11:36 +0900, Trustin Lee wrote:

> Yes.  Providing smaller components as a OSGi library bundle and providing
> bigger integration bundles sound like a greate approach.  I second your
> idea.

Updated the mina-core pom.xml and began updating the pom.xml's for the
mina sub projects, but ran into issues with the mina-java5, mina-filter-
compression, and mina-filter-ssl sub projects that will cause problems
with OSGi bundle package exporting.

Here are the details:

The mina-core and the mina-java5 projects both create jars (and with the
OSGi plugin - bundles) that contain classes in the
org.apache.mina.filter.thread package. To make these classes available
to client importing bundles these bundles must export the package.  The
problem is that any bundle importing the org.apache.mina.filter.thread
package from either of these two exporting bundles would not see the
complete set of classes in the package. (I think that Felix may event
catch this condition at startup and flag an error.)

Similar 'package collisions' exist in:

The mina-core, mina-filter-compression, mina-filter-ssl projects where
each contain classes in the org.apache.mina.filter package.

The  mina-filter-ssl, mina-filter-compression project projects where
each contain classes in the org.apache.mina.filter.support package.

To move forward, suggest that we:

1. Move classes to packages that are uniquely named within each
project/jar/bundle. For example:

org.apache.mina.filter.CompressionFilter in mina-filter-compression
project could be moved to
org.apache.mina.filter.compression.CompressionFilter.

or

2. Move the 2 classes (and 2 test classes) from mina-filter-compression
and 3 classes from mina-filter-ssl back into the corresponding packages
in the mina-core project.

WDYT?

> To answer your original question I think Mina projects may end up
> > looking like very much like they do today. With the possible addition of
> > an osgi-configuration project and maybe an osgi-agent project.
> >
> > trunks/mina
> > - core
> > - filter-ssl
> > - filter-codec-asn1
> > - filter-codec-netty2
> > - integration-spring
> > - osgi-configuration ?
> > - osgi-agent ?
>

> It's a kind of integration project, so I think
> integration-osgi/(configuration/agent) would look better.

Yes, that's a good idea.

> I think this might help you.  We need to merge this patch into our trunk,
> too. :)
>
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRMINA-227

Thanks I will read up on it.

John