mina-dev mailing list archives

From "Colin Fleming" <colin.flem...@coreproc.com>
Subject BEEP implementation
Date Thu, 14 Sep 2006 01:08:15 GMT
Hi all,

I'm planning to implement BEEP (http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc3080.html,
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc3081.html, http://beepcore.org/) on top of
MINA for a project we're working on. It's at a late design/early
implementation stage, so if anyone has any
ideas/suggestions/needs/demands, now would be a good time. It's going
to be Java 5 only. I'm planning to implement it in a series of layers,
using the existing SSL implementation for the TLS part, a
ProtocolCodecFactory for the core BEEP framing, and then probably
IoFilters on top of that for MIME and message sequencing. I'm hoping
to build an incremental XML parser with it too.

We're probably only going to use the sequencing/multiplexing stuff
ourselves, so that will have top priority, things like TLS and SASL
will come later as and when I get time. I'm definitely interested in
making it a complete implementation in the end though. I'm also
interested in people's ideas about how the threading model should work
- I've not worked much with MINA, so I'm learning that part as I go
too, input welcome.

Is this something that the MINA project would be interested in
incorporating into the core project? I get to do this on my work time,
so hopefully I'll get some good progress fairly quickly.

Cheers,
Colin