mina-dev mailing list archives

From peter royal <pro...@apache.org>
Subject Re: having all MINA threads created from the Executor
Date Mon, 11 Sep 2006 05:36:22 GMT
On Sep 10, 2006, at 9:43 PM, Trustin Lee wrote:
> On 9/11/06, peter royal <proyal@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> now that we have a generic Executor in MINA that we can use to
>> execute tasks, I'd like to use it as the launching mechanism for all
>> the threads that MINA creates. Any objections?
>

> Can you list some examples?   Executor is for execution of tasks,
> but some
> of our threads runs as long as the JVM dies.  Can executor pattern
> work even
> in this case?

All of the Worker threads. Executor pattern still works, since it
just takes a Runnable and handles them. (It does not impose any
restrictions on task execution length)

Paul Hammant is having me help him do a MINA transport for http://
xircles.codehaus.org/projects/jremoting, and asked if it were
possible for all MINA threads that were created to be put into a
thread pool owned by what is containing MINA. As it stands now, all
threads but the Worker threads can be moved.

The change would basically be to replace new Thread() with a
submission to the Executor.

-pete