mina-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: Fixing the MINA ApacheDS dependency problem
Date Sun, 03 Sep 2006 01:16:24 GMT
Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
> Alex Karasulu a écrit :
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> As you know, we have dependency issues with ApacheDS and MINA which
>> need to be resolved.  There are several ways in which we can resolve
>> the problem.  However before I propose some solutions let me restate
>> the problem again.  Here's some dependencies which exist today:
>>
>> ApacheDS
>>   -> MINA filter-codec-asn1 -> shared-asn1
>>   -> shared-asn1
>>
>> ApacheDS depends on shared-asn1 through two paths as can be seen
>> above.  One is a direct dependency and the other is via the
>> filter-codec-asn1 module in MINA. This makes it so the version of
>> shared-asn1 that ApacheDS depends on directly must be the same as the
>> version of shared-asn1 that is depended upon by the filter-codec-asn1
>> module.
>>
>> There are several ways in which we can solve this problem but the key
>> is to be able to release this filter-codec-asn1 separately whenever
>> changes are made to the shared ASN.1 module.  We need to figure out
>> how we can release parts of MINA separately to prevent having to push
>> a full MINA release every time.
>
> In my mind, the filter-ASN.1 should not be a part of MINA. MINA has
> nothing to do with ASN.1, as it doesn't know how to handle PDUs.
>
> We should implement a MINA filter into ADS, in order to get rid of this
> dependency.

Exactly!  I fully agree.

NOTE: The ASN.1 codec is LDAP specific since it depends on the shared
ASN.1 code that is watered down to be a subset of the allowable
encodings for BER.

This code was originally part of ApacheDS proper.  I think Trustin
wanted it inside the MINA subproject for critical mass.  He moved it
there about a year ago.  I think we should move it back since ApacheDS
is the primary if not only user.  Furthermore, I want to prevent this
double vote situation whenever we want to release ApacheDS with ASN.1
improvements.

Alex