mina-dev mailing list archives

From "Adam Duston" <adus...@gmail.com>
Subject Architectural advice requested
Date Fri, 08 Sep 2006 19:25:17 GMT
We are a couple of smart and educated but
large/concurrent-application-inexperienced developers, and we've found
ourselves handling a large project of our own design without much
external assistance. We have a general architectural question, and
we're hoping that some kind experts out there could at least point us
in some direction, or tell us about resources (e.g. books) we could
consult, or else work with us for a few hours a week on a (paid)
consulting basis.

We have an application that we hope will ultimately support thousands
of persistent connections from clients. The clients are flash apps in
web browsers and the connections use RTMP, a flash protocol built on
tcp/ip. We're using bits and pieces from the Red5 project (which uses
MINA) to handle these connections -- specifically all the parts that
translate Actionscript Message Format messages to and from Java calls.

On the server we have hundreds of stateful objects which, for for the
sake of discussion, we'll call "Programs". Each Program will be
associated with hundreds of clients (connected through the Red5 setup
just described) at any given point in time. Each Program receives RPCs
from its clients, which a component translates from AMF into method
calls on the Programs. They also issue events, where a server-side
observer translates the events to AMF calls back to the clients.

We are particularly worried about scalability and some other
architectural issues. For example, how do we ensure that our
application, given this architecture, can support enormous numbers of
clients? Meaning, how can we run such an application on a server
cluster? I mentioned that we're inexperienced with creating large
concurrent applications but, more importantly, we're very imaginitive
and aggressive when it comes to implementing our ideas. If anyone
could please direct us to any resources that might help us, we would
be very grateful. Alternatively (or, in addition, rather) we would be
interested in hiring any architecture/J2EE experts on a consulting
basis for a few hours a week to give us advice and direction. Please
contact me (aduston@uchicago.edu) if you're interested.

--
aduston@uchicago.edu
312-375-9879