mina-dev mailing list archives

From "Trustin Lee" <trus...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: MINA as pure OSGi bundles?
Date Fri, 08 Sep 2006 05:53:01 GMT

> John E. Conlon wrote:
> > On Tue, 2006-09-05 at 19:44 -0700, peter royal wrote:
> >> This sounds like an OSGi limitation,
> > More of an recognition, formalization and leveraging of a best practice
> > - package partitioning within modules(aka-jars, bundles).
> >
> > Traditionally with Java we could spread a package over multiple jars and
> > let the parent classloader sort through the jars on the classpath to
> > find all the classes in a package.
>
> I also feel that it is a best practice to not split packages across
> JARs.  This practice appears not only in OSGi but also in the Java 2
> Security Model's "package sealing" mechanism:
>
> "A package sealed within a JAR specifies that all classes defined in
> that package must originate from the same JAR."

You're right.  I think we might be able to merge things into one JAR once we
go to Java 5, then any doubt now goes away.  If we cannot merge, then we
will have to move some classes to new packages.

Trustin
http://gleamynode.net/
--
PGP key fingerprints:
* B693 628E 6047 4F8F CFA4  455E 1C62 A7DC 0255 ECA6