mina-dev mailing list archives

From "Trustin Lee" <trus...@gmail.com>
Subject Fwd: Controlling rate of writes in Mina 0.8.2
Date Wed, 13 Sep 2006 05:02:35 GMT
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Trustin Lee <trustin@gmail.com>
Date: Sep 13, 2006 1:59 PM
Subject: Re: Controlling rate of writes in Mina 0.8.2
To: mina-dev@directory.apache.org

Hi Hanson,

On 9/13/06, Hanson Char <hanson.char@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> A quick question.  Is there an easy way in Mina 0.8.2 to control the rate
> of
> physical network write operations to not exceeding a specific number of
> messages ?
>
> For example, can I say for a particular socket connection session Mina
> should write physically no more than 3 messages per second ?  Message here
> means the argument that get passed to session.write(Object).
>
> AFAIK the session.write() is a logical asyn operation, and Mina therefore
> reserves the right to buffer it underneath.  If so, controlling the rate
> of
> session.write() cannot be relied upon to control the rate of physical
> messages that get sent down the wire.
>
> Or am I mistaken ?

You are correct, but you can make session.write() a blocking operation by
inserting a filter which limits the write rate.  Please implement your
filter's filterWrite() to throttle the write request.

BTW this idea is nice.  Could you please create a JIRA issue for us so we
can resolve it someday and you can switch over to our version of write rate
limiting filter?  Otherwise you could contribute! ;)

Trustin
http://gleamynode.net/
--
PGP key fingerprints:
* B693 628E 6047 4F8F CFA4  455E 1C62 A7DC 0255 ECA6

http://gleamynode.net/