mina-dev mailing list archives

From "Trustin Lee" <trus...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: BEEP implementation
Date Fri, 15 Sep 2006 05:53:38 GMT
Hi Colin,

On 9/14/06, Colin Fleming <colin.fleming@coreproc.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm planning to implement BEEP (http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc3080.html,
> http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc3081.html, http://beepcore.org/) on top of
> MINA for a project we're working on. It's at a late design/early
> implementation stage, so if anyone has any
> ideas/suggestions/needs/demands, now would be a good time. It's going
> to be Java 5 only. I'm planning to implement it in a series of layers,
> using the existing SSL implementation for the TLS part, a
> ProtocolCodecFactory for the core BEEP framing, and then probably
> IoFilters on top of that for MIME and message sequencing. I'm hoping
> to build an incremental XML parser with it too.

Some people asked us about BEEP implementation from time to time, but we
didn't have enough time to implement BEEP.  We have interest definitely.

We're probably only going to use the sequencing/multiplexing stuff
> ourselves, so that will have top priority, things like TLS and SASL
> will come later as and when I get time. I'm definitely interested in
> making it a complete implementation in the end though. I'm also
> interested in people's ideas about how the threading model should work
> - I've not worked much with MINA, so I'm learning that part as I go
> too, input welcome.

Thread model and protocol implementation works independently, so you don't
need to worry too much about the thread model.  You can change it later
because the change won't affect the protocol codec at all.

Is this something that the MINA project would be interested in
> incorporating into the core project? I get to do this on my work time,
> so hopefully I'll get some good progress fairly quickly.

We are very interested, of course.  Is your team interested in contributing
the BEEP implementation on top of MINA?  Then we're ready to cooperate with
you and your team closely.

Cheers,
Trustin
http://gleamynode.net/
--
PGP key fingerprints:
* B693 628E 6047 4F8F CFA4  455E 1C62 A7DC 0255 ECA6