mina-dev mailing list archives

From "Siarhei Damanau" <doman...@gmail.com>
Subject detecting whether remote peer is alive
Date Tue, 24 Oct 2006 15:25:24 GMT
I have server and many clients connected to it using TCP. I want to set up
traffic between client and server as less as possible (using SO__KEEPALIVE
packets is not affordable due to its traffic consumption). So the situation
when client and server do not send any data to each other for several hours
is quite ordinary. The problem is that at every moment I need to know
whether connection is alive.

I have an idea but could you tell me whether it is possible to realize in
mina. While sending data using TCP on every sent packet delivery
confirmation packet is received. How can I intercept this confirmation
packets using mina to get know that data is delivered (not just sent to O/S
buffer)?

  For this purpose we are using packets filter which by timeout closes
connection if no confirmation packet was received.

Could you suggest more elegant solution to this problem?