mina-dev mailing list archives

From "Robert Greig" <robert.j.gr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: detecting whether remote peer is alive
Date Tue, 24 Oct 2006 17:15:42 GMT
On 24/10/06, Siarhei Damanau <domanovs@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have server and many clients connected to it using TCP. I want to set up
> traffic between client and server as less as possible (using SO__KEEPALIVE
> packets is not affordable due to its traffic consumption). So the situation
> when client and server do not send any data to each other for several hours
> is quite ordinary. The problem is that at every moment I need to know
> whether connection is alive.

Sure, this is a common problem with TCP where you cannot rely on the
TCP timeout (which can be minutes).

> I have an idea but could you tell me whether it is possible to realize in
> mina. While sending data using TCP on every sent packet delivery
> confirmation packet is received. How can I intercept this confirmation
> packets using mina to get know that data is delivered (not just sent to O/S
> buffer)?

I don't understand what you mean?

We implemented heartbeats using the sessionIdle event. I think
heartbeats would be a really useful thing to add to core MINA since I
think most TCP/IP apps need heartbeats - if the MINA guys would like
to take our heartbeat implementation from Qpid you would be more than
welcome.

RG