mina-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: Moving to Java 5 and merging all subprojects into one big project.
Date Wed, 25 Oct 2006 12:40:23 GMT
Vinod Panicker wrote:
> On 10/25/06, Trustin Lee <trustin@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi community,
>>
>> We've been splitting MINA into multiple subprojects using Maven.  We have
>> produced as many JARs as the number of subprojects.  It was mainly due to
>> Java 1.4 compatibility to make sure the build doesn't fail even if a user
>> runs the build in Java 1.4.  Now, situation has changed; we all agreed to
>> move to Java 5 and use Java 5 language constructs and APIs actively.
>> Each
>> individual JARs are small enough to merge into one big JAR, and managing
>> MINA as one IDE project would be much easier to browse and develop with.
>>
>> WDYT?  Is this a good idea?
>
> What about dependencies of the current subprojects? If I integrate
> MINA into my maven project, then all the dependencies will be
> automatically pulled into my assembly.  If I want to exclude them,
> I'll have to manually include them in the pom and make the scope as
> 'compile'.
>
> We also don't know what future addons will be made to MINA, and
> whether they will fit well into a uber jar concept.
>
> That said, I think the convenience offered by moving to a single jar
> is quite a bit at the moment.

I completely agree with Vinod here.

Also let me add that there will be more version collisions between MINA
dependencies and the same dependencies used in apps that use MINA but
perhaps of a different version.  When you have one jar this problem is
worse than with separate jars.

MINA will grow fast and more additions will be made over time
compounding this issue.  Keeping things separate is a release management
hassle I know but I've discovered tricks to reduce that overhead with
Maven just recently at ApacheCon US when talking to some maven folks.

Alex